'95 Legacy rear wiper removal

The arm of the rear wiper on my '95 Legacy Outback is completely rusted. I noticed a bit of surface rust near the edges about 4 years ago, but it has progressed into complete rot. I'm not too concerned about the cosmetic appearance, but I do use the rear wiper a lot (especially in winter) and I'm worried about it breaking or falling off. (As it often did on the old Chrysler minivans of old.) Rather than buy a new one, I'd like to remove it, clean the rust off, and repaint it.

Questions then follow:

  1. What is the procedure for removing the wiper arm? Does it just come off somehow or will I have to remove the tailgate trim and take it apart from the inside?
  2. Once removed, what's the best way to clean it? I've used steel wool to remove rust from my bike when I was a kid, but I'd like to think a better method has surfaced since the 80's. ;)
  3. What type of paint should I use? It originally had some flat black stuff, I'm wondering if there is a paint specifically for the purpose or if general spray paint will do.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

If it's as bad as it sounds, I'd hit a wrecking yard/salvage yard and get one...or watch eBay.

Lately I've found phosporic acid, and I'm loving it for rusty steel. One trade name is "Ospho", but there's a bunch of brands out there. Find it at Home Depot, Lowes, etc in quart bottles...it's a sea-green liquid, easy to use.

Remove loose rust and degrease. I like to immerse stuff in it and leave it sit for awhile. It seems a lot more effective than the water/latex based, goopy "rust converter" stuff. Pour the left over into a glass jar and keep using it.

Prime over it and spray it with a low-lustre black, I'd say.

Reply to
CompUser

Should be same as my 91 Liberty. Drive spindle cap is just a plastic cover. Pry it back. Remove centre nut. Remove wiper arm. 2 flat blade screwdrivers one under each side works well but don't slip! You may need WD40 or similar on the nut and spline. Clean? I used steel wool soap pads too! Small wire wheel could work. Use rust convertor if you need to then spray rust proof primer followed by semigloss spray enamel. This survived three winters with snow, ice, salt & fog in the Australian Blue Mountains.

Reply to
hippo