'95 Legacy w/OBDII connector not OBDII compliant?

Greetings, I have a 1995 Subaru legacy in both automatic transmission and manual. Both cars have the obdII connector and say they are OBDII compliant (iso9141-2) on the emissions sticker, but they do not respond to obdII scans.

I am using the multiplex engineering

t16_003 connector and freediag (freediag.sourceforge.net). I've successfully used this system on a 2000 Subaru Legacy and a 2001 Corolla, but they fail on both 1995s. I understand that in the initiation, timing is strict at 5 baud, and this is where both ecus fail to respond. I've also heard reports from others that 1995s don't work with this software.

I modified the source code to not scan for test modes 5-9 (perhaps my engine doens't support it), but that didn't help.

Does anyone know what subaru did differently in the early years of OBDII to cause this non-compliance? ..Specifically in the initiation. I'm a c++ programmer, so I can modify the software if someone cues me in.

Reply to
rootcon

All I can tell you is mine is (95 Legacy). I haven't tried the Sourceforge application since the commercial product I have works with everything I own

I also wack too much code at work to want to mess at home

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

The interface you own, the alex peper one, is also made by multiplex-engineering. My interface has a destination address of 0x25, which is different from yours. If I had the source code to the alex peper project, I could make it work with my interface.

Couple of questions -- is your 95 a manual or auto? Also, what is the date of manufacture?

Reply to
rootcon

Manual and I don't know...

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I'm thinking of writing some software for the '95 subarus out there that don't work with freediag (freediag.sourceforge.net). Everywhere I look, people say the 1995 legacy auto version is obdII compliant but the manual trans. is not. what is different about the manual? Can i do more with the obdII port than just obdII stuff (ie change ecu registers)?

thx guys, Derek

Reply to
rootcon

Derek, I don't know where you've been reading, but I know of at least one manual 95 that is OBD-2.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Not reading... Experiencing. I own both '95s, the auto and 5spd. The auto I can get freeze frame data (rpm, coolant, MAF, oxygen voltage, engine load, etc). The 5 spd refuses to acknowlege the 5 baud initiation sequence.

I'm not the only one who has experience this either.

says a/t only, and if you go to thefreediag forums, several people have reported problems with their '95sand obdII.

At some point, I'm going to code up a fix (you gotta love open source). Its just a bitch to work on because I have to bring my whole computer outside to test/code. And now its winter. Its too bad no one makes a

100ft rs232c serial cable.
Reply to
rootcon

I have read (no experience personally) that the change to OBD2 was

1996 and some late manufactured 1995 were also OBD2 compliant.
Reply to
Edward Hayes

Greetings all, I have a '95 Legacy LSI and I have the OBDII. My reader works fine. A/T also.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka