'95 Outback two flat tires!

So tonight I was driving on some back roads and came across a part where other vehicles had made a two track across a needless curve in the road. Since I've got the Subie, I took the two track, with a lower speed of course. I came back onto the pavement, and although there was a slight bump there I thought I was okay... Until I heard the hissing.

It was coming from the passenger side, so I got out and walked around to the front to inspect it. I've changed so many flats I've got it down to a science, but when I went to get the jack... Uhh, the back tire was flat too.

So, now I've got one spare and two flats. D'oh!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I didn't feel like paying for a flatbed and am somewhat of a DIY person so I paid mom a visit to borrow her Forester spare. I was surprised to find that it was a full size spare on a steel wheel! By now it was really late and I was already this far, so I thought what the heck, I'll try it. Amazingly, that huge 16" wheel fit on my Legacy which was designed for 14 and 15 inch wheels. There was a bit of rubbing in the tight turns but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

The result actually looked pretty funny. Huge 16" spare on the front, tiny donut on the back. Looked kinda like one of those wacky FWD drag cars. And yes, of course I used the fuse!

And what of the tires? Well when I got them back home and looked at them under the light, it was just as I feared - both sidewalls ripped open.

Guess I've gotta make a trip to Discount tomorrow.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Wow! what brand of tires were these? I got scared into using the fuse on mine too... which is a 2002 MANUAL Outback. The contacts are there in the fuseblock but I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything.

Reminds me of "Herbie the Love Bug" for some reason... what was that movie where they drove the bug back with a huge wheel on one side?

-meld

Hallraker wrote:

Reply to
meld_b

Those were Yokohama YK420 tires. I actually took a picture of the aftermath, and I'll likely post it somewhere and include a link in this thread when I get around to it. :)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

If anyone wants to see the goofy big tire/small donut that I had on there. :)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker