96 Legacy/Liberty -- transmission shudder

Subaru colleagues, Our 1996 Legacy(Liberty in Oz) automatic sedan, 140K kms (c.90K miles), has developed a shudder in transmission when going around corners. Anybody else with similar problem, and any suggestions on what should be the things to check?

The car has had a very genteel life on city roads up till now and I would prefer to check out inexpensive tests and remedies before major overhaul of transmission etc. Any ideas?

evan in Oz

Reply to
Evan BAILEY

If problem solved by inserting FWD fuse in fusebox under hood, diagnostic for 'Duty C Solenoid' or clutch-pack failure in tranny. One moderately expensive, the other major geeters. Have you been using donut spare or mismatched tores? Sometimes that can cause this problem on AWD cars.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Evan BAILEY wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Evan,

Any maintenance done to your tranny lately? I had a similar thing happen to me when I had my transmission flushed. Drained a pint of transmission fluid and added a pint of lubegard. 2 days later and the "shuddering" was gone.

YMMV,

Djay

Reply to
djay

Carl, thanks for suggestions. re 3 tyres (Michelins) have been matched and rotated properly. re 2 I hope it is not the clutch-pack failure in tranny -- initial quote = $2-3,000 ! re1 Can you please explain what you mean by: "If problem solved by inserting FWD fuse in fusebox under hood, diagnostic for 'Duty C Solenoid' "??

Reply to
Evan BAILEY

Reply to
Evan BAILEY

I have an '03 Outback so I'm not certain any 'geography' under the hood will be the same. If you have a manual for your car there will probably be some mention of the procedure under spare tire use. But there should be a fusebox under the hood (not the one in the pass. compartment) which will have an empty slot labeled FWD or similar. There shouls also be an unused 'spare' fuse there which, when inserted in the FWD receptacle, forces the tranny into FWD instead of AWD(it applies 12V continuosly to the solenoid, disengaging the clutch pack in the tailshaft). If your symptom continues, it's likely the tranny needs work. If you're lucky, there's some issue with the Duty C Solenoid. This is what folks wish for, but it seems it usually turns out to be the clutchpack. The rebuild procedure includes inserting some steel sleeving where aluminum was the wear surface from the factory. I think (IIRC) M.Y. '96 had the aluminum tailshaft. Others here may know more about this. If you live in an area with a high Sube population, you should be able to find a mech. to assist with the diagnosis. It's a fairly well known issue.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Evan BAILEY wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'd try it. Tranny flush here at a quickie lube is about $65. Fairly inexpensive if it fixes it. Remember however, my shuddering began right after the tranny flush. So you pay your money and you make your choice!

DJay

Reply to
djay

Make absolutely sure that any AT flush preformed uses the recommended fluid. Some of the quickie oil places like to use a "universal fits all" fluid. I personally don't recommend flushes as routine maintance because of all the problems I read on this and other news groups. In addition, it's not a recommendation in my 2000 owners manual at any mileage. I use the severe recommendation and do a pan drain every

Reply to
Edward Hayes

diagnostic

Reply to