96 OBW overheating question of the afternoon....

I understand that there is a Subaru sold additive to help in combatting the overheating problem. Is the product sold under a different name at auto parts stores such as Auto-Zone, Strauss Auto or at Wal-Mart? Thanks.

Reply to
rajp53

I usually put Water Wetter in all my vehicles just for the peace of mind ...have always put it in my bikes too since race tracks won't allow for anti-freeze and water alone just won't cut it. Coolant helps some with boiling point and heat-transfer, but is much more helpful for extreme cold (hence the name "Anti-Freeze") versus hot like I am used to. So, a bottle of pink water wetter in a cold radiator is about $7.50 and it's 100% compatible and helps improve the cooling process.

Mike

Reply to
Edward Hayes

"mike" ....? ...and here i thought my opinions were just as valid as everyone elses' ...I feel like you are labeling me a possible troll....

"Edward Hayes" wrote

Reply to
Mike

Thanks Mike and thanks Edward. What is the Subaru conditioner called? Once again, thanks.

Reply to
rajp53

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks Edward. By the way, the dealer replaced the radiator (2nd time in 18 months I had it replaced and this time, it cost $470--so much for the dealer) on my 96 OBW w/178k miles. I had had to replace antifreeze every couple of days. The dealer told me 20k miles ago that it needs a new head gasket. The prices to do so make it not worth it, which is the reason for my inquires. I am already getting sludge in the overflow tank, so I don't think that the Water Wetter will make a difference. Do you think that the Subaru conditioner will help to extend the life? How about these liquid head gasket "replacements" if you will? I use the car as a 2nd car and to haul things. I apologize for the long winded inquiry. Once again, thanks to you and to MIke.

Reply to
rajp53

IMO the Subaru product is just a "stop leak" kind of product BUT. In recent yrs at least Subaru's have had quite small passages in the radiator and off the shelf products will likely plug up the radiator. BTDT. Fortunately found a radiator shop that was willing to remove the top tank and clean out. They specifically mentioned how tiny the passages were.

IMO I would find out what the real cause is for your overheating problem and fix that and not waste time and money on band-aids.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Thanks, Mickey.

Reply to
rajp53

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks, Edward. I ordered it and will try it. As you say, it's worth trying. Best regards.

Reply to
rajp53

In prior message I mentioned BTDT, used the Subie product prior to any weeping but it happened anyway, maybe a oz/day. Made the mistake after using the Subaru product to use an off-the -shelf stop leak as well (the cause of the plugged radiator), still weeped. To fix the problem the HG had to be replaced and as previously mentioned, rod out the radiator. Life is sweet now.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Mickey:

Duh....what's "BTDT"?

Thanks!

Reply to
rajp53

Been There, Done That.

Reply to
KLS

Agreed. BTW I think the Subie part is Holt's Stop Leak relabelled. If it was me, I'd check that it definitely is the gasket. If so, you're probably stuck with fix or dispose, but just in case, I'd do a full system flush at home, treat it with a chemi-weld type product & then refill the system using the Subie cooling system conditioner. Then if you still have to do a head gasket, well at least you tried some options.

Actually, if the gasket's gone and it's been losing coolant &/or overheating for some time you oculd wind up cheaper swapping the engine for a good s/h one in case there's additional damage. Cheers

Reply to
hippo