96 Outback 2.5 - Odo rollback? Problem year?

I am considering a 96 Outback for sale by a local used car dealer - seems nice enough, I plan to take it to my mechanic tomorrow and have hime go over it. It has the 2.5 engine, automatic trans. Test drive seemed okay (although the vehicle was dead when I went to start it, and the dealer claims he left the doors open - maybe its just an old battery but that got me wondering if maybe other elec issues?)

On checking the carfax for it, the speedometer is reported as being rolled back, but by only 8000 mile or so it seems - I am just wondering if these suppossed rollbacks are sometimes an incoirrect reading? The car seems very clean, I would be surprised if it had substantially more mileage than the 138,000 that it shows on the odometer.

Also, anything about the 96's that I should be aware of that is prone to failure?

Reply to
Outback Buyer

Frequently, Carfax gets it wrong. Even more frequently, the sources of Carfax' information get it wrong. I've found all sorts of interesting events that never really happened in Carfax scans on cars for which I have documented histories or have been the only owner.

Few odometers are actually rolled back any more. It's much, much, much more difficult to do it without detection, much, much, much easier to get caught, and the penalties are much, much, much stiffer than they used to be.

And nobody would roll an odo back by 8k miles, that's just silly.

Take a careful listen to the engine -- the 2.5 prior to 2000 is somewhat prone to piston slap. This is a non-harmful but annoying engine noise.

Better headlamps on the '96-'97s than on the '98-'99s, but shitty headlamp wiring starves the bulbs, so you grope your way through the dark unless you upgrade the wiring.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

Camshaft and main crank seal oil leakage is fairly common, although it usually becomes apparent way before 100K miles (mine happened at ~65K miles). My dealer also had a hard time diagnosing the cause of the "Check Engine" light coming on for extended periods; ended up replacing crank sensor and other electronic bits.

Piston slap shouldn't be a problem with a 96 model; later models have the shorter piston.

Reply to
tcassette

Thanks Vic and Eugene Can you tell me WHY the 97 Leg/Outback seems to be singled out on consumer reports as being much worse than average in the engine dept? Here is a link to their review of the various model years:

As you can see... the 96 gets a solid black (lousy) as compared to the other years. Is this the head gasket problem?

-Mike

Reply to
Mike

It would be silly. But perhaps the speedo head was replaced when the car only had 8K miles on it.

Reply to
hbarta