96 Outback Rough Idle...

Hi -

Recently my 96 Outback (85k mi) has developed a really rough idle. At a stop it kind of bucks a bit, rpms bounce a bit, but nothing huge... You can definitley hear the putt-putt-putt. At higher rpms the "putt" goes away... though I think it still exists... it's just too fast for my ears to detect.

Plugs / Wires / Fuel filter have only 20k miles (changed by Subaru)... my fuel milage *has been* less than favorable ( < 18 mi/gal city). I was under the hood yesterday and I couldn't detect any arc-ing from the wires....Oh, and NO check-engine-light.

My "spidey senses" says it's the fuel pump, so I picked the pump/screen up last night, and I'll install it this afternoon...

Should I be looking for anything else while I've tearing through the car?

-Rick

Reply to
rick

Check the oxygen sensor. Mine (2001) did exactly the same type of stuff and weirder.

Turned out the O2 sensor went flakey/bad.

Good news it's a fairly cheap repair. Though I am suprised you don't have an error code for that.

Your computer is probably running the engine on "limp home" mode, wasting lots of gas and lacking a bunch of power.

Reply to
Sparky Polastri

"rick" wrote: > Hi - > > Recently my 96 Outback (85k mi) has developed a really rough > idle. At a > stop it kind of bucks a bit, rpms bounce a bit, but nothing > huge... You > can definitley hear the putt-putt-putt. At higher rpms the > "putt" goes > away... though I think it still exists... it's just too fast > for my > ears to detect. > > Plugs / Wires / Fuel filter have only 20k miles (changed by > Subaru)... > my fuel milage *has been* less than favorable ( < 18 mi/gal > city). I > was under the hood yesterday and I couldn't detect any arc-ing > from the > wires....Oh, and NO check-engine-light. > > My "spidey senses" says it's the fuel pump, so I picked the > pump/screen > up last night, and I'll install it this afternoon... > > Should I be looking for anything else while I've tearing > through the > car? > > -Rick

I have a 96 Impreza Outback that does something similar although maybe not quite so bad. I changed plugs and wires and was considering the fuel filter. O2 sensor also went through my mind. Let me know if you find out what the problem is for sure.

Reply to
soggydorito

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Sparky et al -

*Finally*, just yesterday, the CEL came on after a real fit, and I was able to get some codes: EGR Malfunction, and Mis-Fires on Cylinders 1 and 3...

Today I replaced the BPT (back pressure transducer), a hose/filter from the pressure exchange solenoid (suggestion from the local subaru mechanic), and one of the EGR solenoids... I tested all of the other solenoids using a SWEET technique that the Subi mechanic told me:

... under your dash, towards the center console are two hanging wires with green connecters (male and female)... if you connect them, and turn the key to "on"... you'll see you check engine light flashing... under the hood, the solenoids and the fans are all going through their on and off phases. I was able to use this to test the solenoids (by blowing into them, and feeling them open and close).

So.... with all of the parts replaced, I still have a broken car.... I'm a bit hesitant on the O2 sensor since I'm not getting an error code... Any other suggestions?

Oh... an observation....while letting the car run for a bit, I *DID* notice liquid sputtering from my tail pipe... water maybe? Is this normal?

thanks for the help!

-Rick

Reply to
rick

"soggydorito" wrote: > I have a 96 Impreza Outback that does something similar > although maybe not quite so bad. I changed plugs and wires > and was considering the fuel filter. O2 sensor also went > through my mind. Let me know if you find out what the problem > is for sure.

is the idle rough or is it high like 1000 rpm and sometimes drops to

600 rpm. is it cyclic or mostly high. i have had worn plugs cause rough idle and low power
Reply to
marcwert1