'97 Impreza - Lighter and Radio Dead

Have a '97 Impreza, which has served me well for many years. But a while back, the after market CD Player/Radio went dead. Soon after (or maybe simultaneoiusly since I seldom use it), the cigarette lighter went dead as well. I found the fuse boxes and replaced the appropriate fuse, even though all fuses looked fine. Then I figured out how to remove the radio and checked the wiring, which looks clean and intact. No loose cables. The connection was solid. Since the CD player is less than a year old, I doubt it is the equipment itself. I do not have the original to use for a test. So I have been living with no audio and cannot plug any devices (cooler, flashlight, air pump, etc. into the lighter slot to make summer travel easier. Do I have any options other than bringing it to a dealership or audio installer? Any idea how much repair would cost? Love this vehicle, but would like some pleasure and convenience. Any help will be appreciated.

--- Joe ---

Reply to
Joe Lee

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0= =A0---

I would remove the radio and test for current at the wiring harness plug. With the key in the ACC or RUN position, 3 of the wires should be hot (memory, illum, 12V). If all 3 hot then there is a problem with the radio. Would also check the wire for the lighter.

Check the radio harness also for an inline fuse.

Reply to
johninky

A lot of time Japanese cars have two fuses for the radio, one in the fuse block inside the car and one under the hood. Did you check both?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Hi Joe!

I'll have to chime in with other posters on this one; probably separate issues here. The only place the lighter and stereo share a common source is the "ACC" position of the ignition switch. (OEM stereo, anyway; who knows what the installer may have changed. Is the aftermarket head plugged into the OEM stereo connector via a wiring harness adapter? Otherwise, did the installer perhaps connect the aftermarket unit to a different 12V source? You'll have to look.) They just _might_ share a common ground point, tho, that is the first thing I'd check; look for a black wire(s) running to a sheet metal screw into the metal dash support somewhere nearby, and be sure it is clean and tight..

I'm looking at the wiring diagram now. 12V for the ignition switch comes from the battery, thru the fusible link, FL1, thru SBF4, a 45 amp fuse (both in the fuse box beneath the hood), and into the IG switch at terminal 1, "B". This is all OK, or the car wouldn't run. From the ignition switch at terminal 2, "ACC", 12V goes into the fuse box beneath the dash. Fuse 17, a 15 amp one, is the switched 12V to the stereo. Fuse 3, a 20 amp version, provides for the lighter. The "always hot" lead to the stereo comes from the battery, thru the fusible link FL1, thru SBF3, a 45 amp fuse, and thru a 10 amp fuse, #25. These all in the box in the engine compartment, but a failure in this circuit will _not_ affect the lighter.

I'd suggest that you get a 12V test light (for this kind of test, the test light will provide less ambiguous results than is often the case with a digital voltmeter (and is cheaper as well). If you're curious as to why this is so (a function of input impedance) email directly and I'll try to explain in more detail. Whatever, verify the above power routing right on out to the stereo plug and lighter socket. If there is 12V everywhere, you have a dead head unit / lighter, or a bad ground as mentioned above.

Good luck with this!

ByeBye! S.