97 Imprezza outback rear windshield wiper

The rear windshield wiper has never really "worked".. Somtimes it did; mosttimes, it didn't.

I never used it enough to "justify" taking it back to the dealer for warranty work.

However, I find that I've wanted to use it mroe and more lately.

I *think* it's a loose connection in the hatch back somewhere.. but it's just a guess; it's not the switch on teh column (I think).

Anyone have any experiences with the rear wiper?

Reply to
Josh Assing

I had the wiring for the hatch lock fail on me(97IW). It worked fine for years, then I had to have the hatch partially open to lock, then fully open, then it just STB. When I repaired it, it looked as if the wires had been cut right inside the harness. Clean, no signs of abrasion. The rear defrost wires had signs of the same problem. The "cut" was inside the rubber boot between the body and gate. I had to pull the D pillar molding to get enough slack to perform the repair.

Shamus

Reply to
Shamus in CO

Ugly... I guess I'll pull the paneling. t

Reply to
Josh Assing

It'll be lots easier to pull the panel on the hatch and troubleshoot from there. Hook up a VOM to the wires and see if it's got juice. Heck, open the hatch and see if it works first. Then you'd know if you're having the same issues I had.

Good Luck

Reply to
Shamus in CO