97 Legacy Outback: Are Monroe gasmatic struts OK?

Please don't shoot me, but I have no interest in better performance and I don't off-road. What I want is struts that are reliable, cheap, and will NOT lower the car.

I shopped around (a LITTLE) and the best deal I could find was at Sears, 60K Monroe gasmatic struts. I am a little apprehensive since I have seen some posts about wrong struts lowering the car! Is there anything I should know and/or make them aware of to ensure the work is done correctly?

Thank you!

Reply to
Franklin Bowen

I'm assuming Monroe has no website or you would have had your question answered there.

The KYB GR-2 is what most folks use when replacing struts as a maintenance operation (as opposed to doing it as a suspension upgrade). I know for a fact that these are designed to replace OEM struts and won't change the ride height. The description page can be found here:

KYB is the OEM supplier of the struts on my WRX, and I think they were the supplier for your vehicle as well. GR-2 WRX struts cost just under 100 bucks each, IIRC, don't know the price for the Legacy OB, but they are listed on KYB's site.

2 Stroke

I think Monroes are pretty crappy and don't last...try KYB or Koni. TG

Reply to
TG

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had Sears do the work (not enough time or motivation to do better) and either the Monroe's are better than you think or more likely I can't tell the difference between good and crappy struts! :-) I'll report back if/when they get replaced.

PS We've already put 1000 miles and some high speed cornering on them and no complaints. However, I *THINK* I can hear them hiss when we go over a small drop (as opposed to bump). Just odd or a problem?

Reply to
Franklin Bowen

I had a Buick where the Monroe's were much better than the original struts (I contrasted my car with the new struts with a nearly new rental that wallowed like a whale).

Reply to
David

Just curious... about how much did the struts cost? (including installation) I got a quote for $1200 from a shop, $600 from the dealer. Can Sears do it for less? I too am not worried about high performance, however I would like something that will last a few years.

Will M

Reply to
WillM

It's not your imagination. The hiss you hear over small bumps at low speeds is normal. Most struts and shock absorbers do this, my OEM struts included. Also indicates that your hearing is still good.

Reply to
2 Stroke