97 Outback - headlamp lenses dulling

I have recently noticed that my 97 outback's headlamp lens' are getting pretty dull, especially on the driver side (probably because the right one was changed when my wife smashed up the car). the lenses seem to have very fine surface scratches.. Obviously it's from driving the car. But, does anyone know of any way to polish these out? I don't want to start experimenting myself. I don't have the $230.00 for each side at this point if i really screw them up.

thanks for your recommendations!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I used to use toothpaste to polish up a plastic watch crystal. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Some cars' Euro and Japan spec versions have glass lenses.(they don't have CAFE laws) If it gets bad, maybe try to replace from overseas wrecking yard.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Rat wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

What about Scotchguard Paint Protection? I know most paint protection deals are scams, but this is an film that you apply to the car. It should work fine on a headlight. The ad even features the clear headlight lens from a Subaru Forester:

-LK

Reply to
L. Kreh

Not sure it would work on the lenses due to heat. Besides. the material comes precut for your car and is a little pricy. There ARE however plastic protective film covers for fog lamps so you may have a good idea.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

L. Kreh wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Not to nitpick, because you might be right, but the most common application for 3M's paint protection film is on the leading edge of a hood (rock protection). Think about how hot a dark-colored hood gets on a sunny summer day -- safe to say hotter than the clear plastic lens of a Subaru headlamp.

Reply to
L. Kreh

Good point. Perhaps it isn't offered for some simple reason as it may violate some DOT or other laws concerning 'safety equipment' (headlights) being modified/altered.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

L. Kreh wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Put a buffing wheel on a drill, or better yet an angle grinder, and buff 'em using the "blue" abrasive (designated for plastics). Be patient, and use light pressure; if you get overly ambitious you will overheat and smear the plastic lens. If you do this right, you can probably get them to "nearly-as-good-as-new" condition. Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S.

jimuntch