97 Outback sport (2.2) "hesitates" sometimes.

sometimes, after starting the car, and putting it in drive, it sorta hesitates, almost like the engine dies, but it doesn't and once it clears up; it doesn't happen again until you shut the car off...

Any ideas on what it could be?

Reply to
Josh Assing

PCV Valve and/or vacuum hose are my first guesses.

-- Larry Weil Lake Wobegone, NH

Reply to
Larry Weil

Possibly fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. Try turning the key to the on position for a couple minutes before actually starting the engine, see if that helps.

Reply to
nItpIk

I think someone posted a similar symptom on the USMB forum that occurs if you accidentally or by habit feed a little accel. pedal when starting. Seems the ECU will set an advanced throttle position as it's new 'zero' point.

I'm sure there are other problems that could cause you symtom too.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

nItpIk wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

thanks. I thought of that; but wouldn't it happen more often than once? it's not temperature related... at least it doesn't appear to be...

I'll double check vacuum and pcv. thanks

Reply to
Josh Assing

that could be it! I'll have to make a marked effort not to touch the peddle.. the car is my wifes and my car is older, that needs a little "help" tx

-josh

Reply to
Josh Assing

Doubt that; as I often let the car "warm up" in the morning for a little so the car is slightly warm for us.... but I'll try.

Reply to
Josh Assing