97 Subaru Outback - anything to look for before I buy??

I am interested in a 97 Outback AWD 2.5 engine that is for sale from a dealer locally - 120,000 mile so the mileage is high- asking 5000 Anything I should be aware of with that year and model? I havent had a chance to drive out a look at it yet but it sounds like a decent deal. Carfax shows a clean history on it. THanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Well I have the same model and have had only a couple of problems. (I know a sample of one is not very good.)

1) Listen for a "ticking" sound when the engine is running and the transmission is in neutral with your foot OFF the clutch that goes away if you depress the clutch pedal even a small amount. This is a failing yoke for the throw out bearing. I had problems with this on both y '95 Legacy and '97 Outback. Cost to fix was about $700. 2) Any noise that shows up when the clutch pedal is depressed all the way and the engine is running is a bad throw out bearing. (My was replaced when I had the throw out yoke repaired. Other than that it has been fine.) 3) Ask if the timing belt has been replaced at the required service interval. 4) Start the engine and listed for any unusual thumps at the end of the starting cycle and/or watch the engine. My engine mounts wore out at about 97K miles and had to be replaced. The mounts themselves are over $100 each (there are two). The cost to have these replaced by a good local garage was about $360.

The above items are all "wear items"

-- Vic Roberts

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Reply to
Mike

I have a 97 Legacy. Well, with so many miles on it, find out if the timing belt was changed, if not, that's an extra $700 for the belt and water pump. Phase 1 2.5L engines are prone head gasket failure (which i don't have so far) and piston slap/noisy lifter sympthom (which i do have). Check for oil leaks as the separator plate tends to back out and burn on on the exhaust piping. Dashboard lights tend to be dead. Otherwise it handles great, i love my ride. A bit more power would help but it's a 4 cyl.

Good luck

Reply to
EugeneT

If you expand your search to private sellers, you'll find plenty of high-mileage 97 OBWs for sale in the $5,000 range, especially if you live in the western states. If you can swing it, I'd buy a 99 OBW -- it was the best of the breed. In the long run, you'll save money by spending a little more on a 99 than spending a little less on a 97. Happy hunting.

Reply to
L. Kreh