98-99 Forester

Hey Guys,

New to the forums, and have enjoyed having a good read of your posts. Hopefully I am not going to be repeating a really old post - I am interested in buying a 98 or 99 Forester here in Canberra, Australia. Here we have the 2.0 Litre engine and I woudl likely go for a manual transmisson. I am looking to pay up to about $15K, depending on the example.

I am interested to know what pitfals I should look out for. One example I looked at yesterday had 180000K on the clock and they were asking $13k (au$). It looked quite tidy and would have been the base model judging by the fitout.

I guess feedback from other australian owners would be most relevant but I am keen to hear from anyone with some info to share!

Specific questions I have at this (early) juncture are -

What are the major maintenance issues as the kilometres get higher (as a lot of the examples I have looked at are between 140000 and 180000 on the odometer)

Are there any faults that I can immediately check when looking at the vehicle?

How does the Forester handle towing? (I am interested in towing a motorbike on a light trailer.)

I guess one of my main concerns is whether the engine will have enough performance. IF I could afford it I would love to go for the GT version, but I doubt I could afford it, and getting it insured would be nigh on impossible for a guy under 25 like me!!

I look forward to hearing from you guys, thanks for reading my post.

Cheers

Jason

Canberra, AUS

Reply to
jvic

Find an 99 Forester! Not an 98 if possible.

A 99 has a bit more HP (125 instead of 122), standard selfleveling rearsuspension, build-in rear window antenna en some other modifications.

- Major maintenance issues between 140 and 180 k km : take a good look at the (selfleveling) rearsuspensions. If the car hangs a bit to one side you know enough..

- Check if shifting gear easy goes to the "rear-position"

- Towing goes great ! LO-gear you know.

- Power enough, It's a Subaru!

Wilco

"jvic" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Wilco van Diest

Thanks Wilco, I appreciate your advice.

If anyone else has something to add that would be great.

Cheers

Jason.

Reply to
jvic

i'd go for a smashed fender bender 2003-04...better engine,no head gasket issues, better rear bearings..some of the bugs worked out...the manual tranny is a good idea..equal pull on all four tires...unlike the auto..

a great car, i have a 98S

Reply to
bj