'98 Impreza Outback Sport - burnt rubber smell

The other day, after driving about 40 miles on the highway on a hot day, and I noticed a burnt rubber smell. I opened the hood and didn't notice the smell coming form the engine area. I sniffed around and the smell was strongest in the area of the driver's side front tire. The tire looks okay. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

Reply to
JimboJumbo

Not sure. But I get a lot of that during lead footed driving. I think this is perfectly normal. My old Legacy did the same.

I love it. So should you :-)

Reply to
Body Roll

My '97 Impreza does the exacct same thing. I don't notice it so much while driving (moving) but when sitting at a red light. It's been happening for several years and nothing bad has ever come of it. I recently noticed some foam rubber insulation sticking out from the top of my radiator (near the cap under the trim piece over the radiator itself). After driving I smell the burning rubber like smell from this area. Maybe the foam rubbern insulation begins to break down and loses it's ability to hold up to the heat of the radiator?

Body Roll wrote:

Reply to
Greg R

Yup, had a '99 impreza with the same stink. Nothing ever came of it after

Reply to
D&SW

Feel of the wheel and confirm it isn't any hotter than the other side. Check tire pressure. Check the CV boot for splattering grease onto exhaust.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan