98 Impreza trailer wiring converter

Does anyone know of a plug-and-play trailer wiring adapter for the

1998 Impreza (not Outback)? I've googled a fair amount and have come up empty. I'd rather avoid having to splice into the wiring in favor of something that has the correct connectors to plug into the factory wiring harness.
Reply to
Mark Olson

Some of the wagons had a plug, I think down in the spare tire well, or perhaps behind the plastic trim, either the back piece, or the right side rear, that would accept a Subaru adapter as supplied with the factory trailer hitch. Don't think _any_ of the sedans had them.

If it's not there, you will have to splice into the harness. It's recommended that you use a "powered" adapter, as opposed to running the trailer lights off of the tail light circuits; probably not necessary for a small trailer with only one set of lights, but still a good idea, as a short in the trailer wiring (all too common) will take out your cars tail lights, otherwise.

FWIW, the factory hitch is a bit more expensive than a generic one, but is very nice, and comes with a removable (what-cha-call-it?) the male part of the receiver that carries the ball, _and_ a nice powered adapter with a feed-thru that fits in place of one of the rubber drain plugs. Hit 1st Subaru Parts on-line for good prices.

ByeBye! S.

Sorry, I didn't say, but it is an Impreza L AWD Wagon.

Checking with them now. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Mark Olson