'98 Impreza wagon with loud noise from rear of vehicle when car in motion.

Help me please! Two weeks ago my car started making a loud noise like a tympany drum which emanates from the cargo area when the car is in motion. Thought my spare might be loose. No. Sound is driving me crazy.

Reply to
Maureen

Is it constant or more pronounced when you hit a pothole or mancover?

If hitting a bump makes it happen, it could be that the mufler is hitting against the frame. Most likely a muffler clamp or mount has fallen off.

Regards, Remco

Reply to
Remco

Had this recently on a my UK1998 70K miles Forester, rear silencer box outer skin had rusted through and split, this outer skin then was rattling against the heat shield protecting boot floor from silencer. A quick turn of baling wire kept it quiet until I could replace the silencer.

Reply to
Marcus