98 Legacy Outback Hydraulic Clutch problem

During stop/go driving the clutch pedal gets progressively less effective at working to the point where the pedal doesn't come back all the way. I found that this is caused by the slave cylinder piston getting sucked back into the body of the slave actuator (so all that the clutch pedal action did was to push the slave piston back to where it should have been).

Question is what's broken? is the master actuator broken because it causes the slave cylinder to suck back past the point that it should stop (i.e. on the pedal back stroke it doesn't let clutch fluid back into the circuit) or is the slave worn out because it relies on seal friction/piston friction to stop being sucked back. Or is the master seal worn and is bypassing)

At approx $100 for a slave and $200 for a master replacement - it'd be nice to get the right part changed not both Thanks

Reply to
Badger

Hey no kidding!?

This is a good point Badger, same thing happens in my 98' OBW sometimes.

Curious to hear the answer....

-
Reply to
[ evL ]

I had this same problem on my 98 Liberty Liberty = Legacy in Australia

Found to be a pin hole leak in the hose that goes to the slave cylinder. When stopped at a set of lights the and the clutch depressed it would slowy leak out and reduce pressure in the system and the car would start to creep forward. Then when you took the clutch up it would not come back all the way. You would have to lift it back with your foot.

Check the hose for leaks. I had to remove the curly protective plastic sleave around it to find the leak.

Reply to
Subie25L

OK - think I found the problem - I bought a 'clutch repair kit' for the 98 Outback hyd clutch slave. The repair kit has a piston return spring that the original isn't fitted with.

I'm sure this'll fix it - at $13 for the repair kit it's cheaper than the $50 for a new slave - OEM part number 30622AA001 for the repair kit

Reply to
Bluebottle