98 Outback accessory connection question

I installed a WRX cassette/CD changer in the old OB and it's great, but it doesn't have a clock function, and Mrs. Smith misses it. I have not been able to find a (self-contained) battery-powered aftermarket LED clock (don't want to have to find a button to press in the dark like the LCD ones), so will probably have to install a 12 v one. Questions:

  1. Anyone know of a battery-powered clock that is visible in the dark?
  2. If I end up installing a 12 v one where is the best place to take off switched and unswitched power connections?
  3. Any recommendations on a 12 v model?

Thanks.

-Alex

Reply to
apcs

Are you sure you can't enable the clock in your new unit? My 02 Impreza has built in clock in the radio but I turned it off since it's redundant with the dash clock right above it.

Reply to
Greg

At the stereo plug. I have a wiring diagram that ought to help available at . Lotsa more there that might prove useful; help yourself.

Alex, you might try RadioShack. Failing that, maybe even better, hit a scrap yard and see what you can find; there should be plenty to choose from. If you're not fixed on a digital clock, I can recommend the analog clock from a late '70s Volvo 240 or the like. It is an excellent timepiece, very accurate, and easy to install in a panel cut-out or an aftermarket gauge bracket. I have used two of these (one local time, one GMT) in my "ham-shack" for years. You should be able to get one of these for a couple bucks.

ByeBye! S.