98 Outback CD player Broke? PLEASE HELP!

98 Outback CD player Broke? PLEASE HELP!

Hi everyone.. very glad I found this message board?

I have a 98 Outback Limited Legacy.. Just yesterday my CD came out while it was playing for no reason.. now when I put a CD in, it comes right back out after a few seconds?? I have no idea what to do or where to take it to get repaired? It?s the factory head unit with a single CD player? Everything eles seems to work fine?

Right now I think my only options would be to somehow fix it myself?or Replace it with another factory head unit, or just install a 6 disk changer and run it off the existing head unit?

If you have any suggestions or options please send them my way! Thanks so Much!?

snipped-for-privacy@jdnphotography.net

Reply to
froh

In my 98 Outback I installed a new WRX 6-disc changer I purchased on eBay for $120. There are always lots of them for $100-180. Easy plug and play installation. Instructions on how to take the dash apart $5 from Crutchfield.

E-mail me at apcsmith at yahoo dot com if you have questions.

it was playing for no reason.. now when I put a CD in, it comes right back out after a few seconds?? I have no idea what to do or where to take it to get repaired. It's the factory head unit with a single CD player. Everything eles seems to work fine.

Replace it with another factory head unit, or just install a 6 disk changer and run it off the existing head unit.

Reply to
apcs

snip

Out of interest were all the pinouts the same? I'm getting a 2002 wrx head unit for a 2001 legacy, in about a week, and I'm having a hard time finding pinout info.

Thanks F.Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

I can't speak for a 2001 Legacy, but the 2002 WRX head unit was absolute plug-and-play in my 98 OBW, so the odds are very good. For confirmation do a Google search on "Subaru wire colors". I got dash disassembly instructions from Crutchfield for $5.

Reply to
apcs

Subaru dash removal '01

look for stereo upgrade. I also did a