'99 Forester alarm went whacko

Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. The problem is in the unit itself; not the remotes. Sometimes it triggers itself. Sometimes it will trigger from my leaf blower. Sometimes the electric edger will trigger it. Sometimes someone else's remote (not Subaru) will trigger it. (The alarm was installed at the dealer and is a Subaru alarm.) Sometimes the garage door opener will trigger it. Sometimes *nothing* will trigger it, including the remotes. (Replaced batteries in the remotes and reprogrammed them about a year ago.) This problem started last month. Seems to be getting worse with time.

First question: The 12V car battery is original equipment, i.e., more than four years old. It cranks the engine okay, but if it has a marginal cell in it that causes low no-load voltage, could that be the cause of the problem?

Second question: What else might cause the problem? I'm trying to avoid replacing the unit because of cost.

Many thanks, Ed Maier Arlington, TX

Reply to
Ed Maier

Hey Ed, I'm in Arlington too. First time Subaru owner '03 OBW H6 3.0 . Generally, a battery in Texas is doing good to last more thatn 3 years and you may have a point. If you go to Autozone whne they are less busy, they can put a load box and other gear on the the batt and check for dead cells, the charging cicuit,etc. By now you could also have some deposits built up on the trminals and removing/cleaning them may be a good idea as there can be some voltage dropped across them. If the edger will really do as you say, maybe you can demonstrate that to the mechanic and 'get their attention'. Seems to be necessary nowadays to get anyone interested in a problem. good luck and let us know what happens OK?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Ed Maier wrote:

Reply to