99 Forester CV boot question

I have a 99 Forester and was told that my right front CV boot is broken, leaking fluid onto my exhaust--causing smoke. They tell me I need to replace the entire right front axle to fix this. Is this true? Can?t just the boot be replaced? Please help before I pay for too much to be done. thank you!!! ~Erin

Reply to
erin

Yes the boot can be replaced but the labor involved in replacing the boot or the entire axle is the same. If you have to pay someone else to do the work then go for the axle replacement.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

good advice - particularly if you don't know how long the boot has been open to the elements.

BTW - cv joints can work for MONTHS after the boot is split so you have time to save up!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan