99 Keyless entry

Just bought a '99 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited. This car didn't have any remotes when I bought it, but I have read that all '99 Legacy's were equipped with the Alpine keyless entry. I have a couple of the Subaru Alpine remotes from other vehicles so I tried to enter program mode to add them to this car, but I couldn't get the car to enter program mode. I followed the directions in the manual exactly (open can close door, click key from lock to on 10 times). Never got the horn beep that indicates it's in program mode.

Is there a way to check whether the keyless entry is installed in the car for sure?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Boy

My 98 OBW had a different procedure then you describe. On it you turn on the key and push a programming button under the dash. Also don't see any signs of the remote being an Alpine unit.

Reply to
Greg

Thanks for the reply, but the system in the '98 is different from the '99 as far as I can tell. My source is the site

Supposedly the Legacy through'98 used a system from Code Alarm that went into program mode with a buttonlike you describe. and changed to the Alpine system for the '99 model year. Also according to the site, the keyess entry system was standard on the Limited version in '99, so my car should have it - but I can find no sign that it does or doesn't.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Boy

I have a 99 SUS and had a hard time finding what the correct replacement remote was and how to program it. Look under your dash on the left side by the fuse box. If you see a round plastic circle about 1 inch accross with a black button on it, then you take the earlier square remote. Any new remotes are programed by turning on the ignition holding the button down, after 15 seconds or so the alarm will churp, then press the lock or unlock button on the new remote. Then let go to the programing button. I still don't know how to eliminate the lock and unlock churp. The owners manual instructions are not correct and indicate the newer type remote. Good luck. Glenn

Reply to
Glenn B