99 Legacy sed. half shaft R & R <== questions

I have a 1999 Legacy sedan 2.2 (auto trans). I have never done half shafts on any car (I always had rear wheel drive cars until 1999).

Can someone tell me the steps to remove & replace the half shafts? I have the correct socket for the axle nut. After I remove the caliper, rotor & axle nut, does the splined shaft just slide out? Do I need any special tools, or do I need to separate the lower ball joint? Can I re-use the axle nut? Does anyone know the axle nut torque value?

I have 30+ years of automotive skills & all the ordinary tools, pullers, acetylene etc, but I have never done half shafts before, so any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
aaa

Find a copy of the Haynes repair manual. Well written and illustrated. The slpines need to be pressed out.

Reply to
stumpy

Don't know if there are any basic changes from 99 to 00 models. Had to pull the shafts on my 00 to replaces the inner boots several yrs back. Didn't have any instructions so did what looked like was the easiest way.

I disconnect the upper control arm from the chassis so I could pull the upper arm/strut outward far enough to give room for outer haft shaft to be pulled free from spindle. One side took a little more effort pulling to get adequate room for shaft pull free. Once the outer half was free it didn't take much force to pull the inner half out from the trans. If done this way one need to pay attention that one of the bolts that holds the control arm in place is used to control the camber adj. Need to make sure that bolt is returned to same hole and rotated to same place as it was initially.

Job took about an hr for each side including cleaning up all the grease from the joints, replace with new grease and install new boot.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey