99 Legacy sedan 2.2L - Loosing power after backing up

When I back up with my front wheels sharply turned, I frequently feel loss of power and some jerkiness in the car movement. When I switch to drive after that (it's an auto), there is no power at all as if the engine was totally disconnected from the transmission. Stopping and restarting the engine fixes the problem every time. I got used to this, but it is annoying... What can it be? Thanks.

Reply to
MM

Well, there should be a slot labeled FWD in the fuse box under the hood. In the lid, there probably are 2-3 spare fuses. Check your manual to be certain, but I THINK putting a 20 or 30 amp fuse in the FWD position should force your car into FWD only mode (you're supposed to do this if you use a donut spare or different sized tire, to prevent torque bind). See if there is any change in the turning, gear- shifting bahavior. If there IS, it points to the wet-clutch pack in the tail of the transmission. If there is no change, it still 'could' be a transmission problem, just of a different type.

Also, I believe someone posted here that there is a 'friction modifier' additive that some folks find helpful. IIRC it was Ford product?

anyone?

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Thanks a lot! Just one more question. If it is the wet-clutch pack in the tail of the transmission as you say, how expensive is it going to be to fix? And if I don't fix, is it going to get much worse?

Reply to
MM

Yes, it will be $$$ to repair. Of course you also have options of replacing the entire transmission with rebuilt or junkyard unit.

Some people just run with the FWD fuse in place and sacrifice the AWD capability.

Do a search for 'torque bind'. Once you confirm it is a problem, then you can better decide how to proceed. You might even consider running in FWD mode while saving up for the work and locating a transmission shop. DO make certain your tires are all the 'same'. Same brand and wear. Mixing tire models, or putting one new tire on with the others being bald,etc., can cause 'torque bind'. DO familiarize yourself with the symptoms of torque bind, don't let a mechanic CLAIM you need a new transmission. Just be certain before proceeding with anything expensive. Posting your location here might get a recommendation from someone familiar with a good Subaru mechanic in your area.

good luck

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

[...]

Some folks report binding from a frozen U-joint, so just make sure where the problem is. The power loss you report seems odd so, just try to do good diagnosis! lol!

good luck

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan