'99 Outback coolant question

Since we've owned this car since '03, I'm thinking this might be the year to replace the coolant. Is factory coolant required, or will any good quality coolant do the job?

I ask this since another list I subscribe to (for another make) has consensus that high-end M-B coolant is the best replacement (for that make, which is not M-B).

Bob Just another nice basic flake. (and old fart in training)

International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

Reply to
Bob Landry

Subaru coolant isn't absolutely necessary, but there are enough considerations on chemical makeup that you may as well go with OEM Subaru coolant.

Be aware that changing coolant on a Soob usually requires "burping" after the fill.

nobody >

Coolant is supposed to be replaced more often than every 4 years. So don't neglect to do it soon.

If you don't have a dealer do it, you will need the "coolant conditioner" that is supposed to help mitigate outside gasket problems. (Especially on that year of Subaru).

You can get it here:

(the blue platic bottle) All Subarus are suppsed to have this now.

Aside from that, (as the other poster mentioned) there are quirks to Subarus that need to be addressed during the coolant change process.

Reply to
.._..