99 Outback Legacy Wagon, engine stuttered, Chk Eng lit up, now runs OK

I've got a 99 Legacy Outback wagon (4-cylinder).

Three weeks ago, at 78,000 miles, the clutch failed. The car was across the street from a service station, so I pushed the car into their parking lot and had them replace the clutch. ($689 including tax.)

When the work was finished, I picked up the car. I had no speedo, and the Check Engine light was on, so I returned the car the next morning. While the car was there, the shop gave me an oil change. They plugged in the speedo cable, fixing the speedometer problem and turning off the CE light, and I was on my way.

The following week I heard some frightening, clunking noises from under the car (sounded like suspension noises to me). I didn't know what the noise was, didn't know if it was related to the clutch, and was nervous driving the car, so I returned to the same service station with it. They investigated, said it was coming from the brakes, and I needed 2 new rotors. So, I got a front-brake job ($291 including tax). The new brakes worked great, and the noise was gone.

Now, not quite 3 weeks from the start of this adventure, my Check Engine light is on again. I was driving the car last night, in the rain, behind many slow and annoying drivers, while I was in a hurry to get somewhere. Once the road emptied in front of me, I started driving fast and hard. Almost immediately, the car started 'stuttering'. It sort of felt like the wheels or the clutch were sporadically slipping. It was weird. A few seconds later the Check Engine light began quickly blinking on and off, erratically. Another few seconds later, the car began driving perfectly again, and the light stopped blinking, simply staying lit.

So now the CE light is on steady, and the car is running just fine.

I'm leery of returning to the Service Station, as I think they have me pegged as an easy mark at this point and I honestly haven't even figured out how to pay for the previous work they've done yet - the clutch wiped out my bank account, and I had to charge the brakes.

Do these symptoms point to any 'most-likely' explanation? I saw another post mention the 'CarChip'. I read up on it a little, and it definitely sounds like something I'd like, but if it's going to tell me I need some $1000 job that I can't do myself, I'd be wasting the $139. (On my old Saturn I could read the codes with a paper clip, and that was very useful.)

I've loved this car so far, but this Fall it's bankrupting me.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Jacobs

Clutches don't just fail and I've never heard of rotors making clunking sounds. Not saying the clutch wasn't in need of replacement but I think the repair facility got you on the rotors.

The CEL could have been activated by something the rain caused. Things like wet ignition wires come to mind.

Just disconnect the battery for a few minutes and this will clear the CEL. Good idea to have the keys in your pocket. I did this once and all the doors locked and I had left the only set of keys in the ignition. If the CEL comes back then there is something wrong. AutoZone will pull the trouble codes free of charge if you have one in your area.

Reply to
johninKY

No, the clutch was a genuine failure. It had been slipping for a while, the car had 78k miles on it, and it finally died. The car happened to be across the street from the particular service station, so I pushed the car in to their lot, and had them replace the clutch. The car wasn't driveable, and I have no known, trusted mechanic to use.

With the clunking noise, I had no idea what it was, and, in case it was related to the clutch change a few days earlier, returned to the same shop.

This morning I took the car to Auto Zone, and had them check the code that triggered the CEL. It showed that cylinder 3 had misfired/was misfiring. As the car has performed perfectly since about 1 or 2 minutes after the light came on, I had the Auto Zone person clear the code from the system. If/when the problem and light return, I'm thinking I'd go back to Auto Zone to get plugs and plug wires. The shop is considerably out of my way, but the man did graciously check the code for free, and get on his knees in the parking lot to do so.

I didn't know that disconnecting the battery would clear the code though; thanks for the tip.

-- Steve

john> Clutches don't just fail and I've never heard of rotors making clunking

Reply to
Steve Jacobs

Why would you want to clear the code? I would think you want to read it? I also thought autozone read codes for free as it is?

anyway if its #3 misfire, check the wires and the coil for plug 3 and see if you can see the problem before you replace all the wires. Still good to replace them all if 1 is bad, but its better to know for sure.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert