99 Outback transmission slippage?

Last September, I purchased a 1999 30th anniversary edition Subaru Outback with 112,000 miles on it. Around 2,000 miles after purchase, I started to experience a sporadic issue with the transmission. When the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd gear it takes a long time (5-10 seconds) and feels as though it is slipping as the RPMs would wind high. I changed the fluid and filter grasping at an economic solution. This was no help. Now at 127,000miles, the condition is repeatable when the transmission is cold. If I let the car idle for several minutes before operation the problem seems to lessen. Other symptoms that I have noticed are that if you accelerate hard when it is slipping the RPMs will wind higher and slam you back when the shift is finally completed. If you let off of the accelerator when the transmission is slipping, the shift time lessens and is smoother.

I hope my explanation is clear enough. If not, please ask for specific clarification. Any thoughts or help on this one?

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
boondockin

Other than trying 2-3 succesive fluid changes to loosen up 'gunk' you probably need expert help. Sounds like low hydraulic pressure/whatever.

you could try posting this at

and see if someone has had the exact issue.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thank you. I will try USM also.

Reply to
boondockin

I have the same car with a few more miles. Same problem, too, but mine would shift easily if I eased it at abbout 1500 rpm. Changing the filter last week made a huge difference for me.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Did you use any specific fluid or filter? I used whatever filter Advanced Auto Parts offered and Valvoline ATF. When I call the stealership, they of course indicated that I had to use Subaru fluid and filter.

Reply to
boondockin

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. The filter was ordered online from a Sub parts dealer, and the fluid was some synth blend I picked up at Walmart. I've been driving a lot the last week, and the fix seems to have 'stuck.'

-John

Reply to
JohnO

Subaru has a TSB or "letter" that states the a 2-3 shift rpm flair is caused by the leakdown of a solenoid valve or??. Subaru states it will cause no excessive transmission wear which is a bunch of bull IMO. Mine has be doing a 2-300 rpm flair for the last 60,000 miles (now at

107,000). A filter change and fluid replacement every 25,000 miles did not help at all. I just try to drive slow until the pressure comes up in the tranny by driving ~1800 rpm in 2d gear until it shifts. I have the Subaru response somewhere and if you want I will try to find for you is you send me your email address. Ed
Reply to
Edward Hayes

Just to clarify, my symtoms were a thunk from 1-2 when cold. Under a load it shifted perfectly, and if I cruised at 1500 rpm for a few hundred feet it shifted perfectly, too. Once warm, no problem.

The other symptom happened when I made a rolling stop at an intersection. The tranny acted like it didn't want to drop fully to 1 until I came to a *complete* stop. This was both warm and cold.

Both problems cleared up with the new filter. The 1-2 thunk is well within the normal range now, and rolling stops are perfect.

I have that slip from 2-3 you mention, and like you I just take it easy at that point and it seems OK.

Reply to
JohnO

Email sent.

Thanks,