99 Subaru Outback Wagon Transmission Problem - HELP!

Folks,

I have experienced a problem with the transimission in our Subaru. The mechanic has quoted me $2500 to fix and I wanted to get a take from users in the group.

When making an 'aggressive' manuever that cause the car to downshift from top gear (such as climbing a hill or acclerating rapidly to pass a car) the car downshifts to the next gear fine. However, after the manuever is complete, the car resists shifting back into the top gear. Typically, you'll have to hit the gas hard again and then the car will shift back-up.

The mechanic claims it is an electrical problem within the transmission. He wants to open up the transmission fix the problem and do a complete overhaul of the transmission. The car has 75000 miles on it.

Does this fix make sense for an electrical problem? Does this rationale based on symptoms make sense from a mechanical standpoint?

Finally, we may or may not get rid of the car in the next year. Is this a problem that I can live with for awhile? As an acquaintance pointed out, if this is just a problem from Overdrive (is top gear over drive in this car?) to the next gear down..probably not such a big deal.

While I have basic knowledge of car mechanics, obviously I am no where close to knowledable of most car issues. Your groups help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks very much!

v/r

Reply to
Zeitlin

all internal electronics that could cause this are right in the pan/valve body area...no need to take everything apart. TG

Reply to
TG