a 2 seater Baja...?

I just checked the group archives and I don't see anything on the subject past mid-2001. A week or so ago I started looking around at a practical commuting vehicle. I'd be perfectly satisfied with a small pickup, say Tacoma, if it only came with front wheel drive. Step by step (mostly adding up the option prices) I arrived at the Baja price range, and realized the ideal vehicle for me would be a 2-seater version of Baja with larger bed, El Camino style (or, as I later found out, a Brat reincarnation with longer bed). I know I'm not the only one who's been thinking that, but I don't see any posts on the subject in the archives past 2001. I shot an email to Subaru over the weekend, and Monday morning (!) I got this in reply:

"(...)We appreciate that you took the time to inquire. At this time, we do not have plans to offer an ''El Camino-style'' Baja model. We have not yet solidified our future product plans for this model, so we will gladly take your request into consideration.

We are certainly not opposed to the idea of change. We will forward your comments to our Product Planning Department for their consideration. (...)"

Does anyone have any more up to date information on Subaru's attitude towards the idea? Was that just a polite put-down, or should I get all pumped up and start a 2-seater Subaru pickup fan site in hopes of getting more publicity for the idea? ;-)

Paul

Reply to
Pawel Slusarz
2 seater baja? just get a pick-up truck. Seriously , there has to be a front wheel drive p/u truck out there, doesn't there?

Mike

"Pawel Slusarz" wrote:

Reply to
Michael P. Smith

Reply to
null

I have a 2001 front wheel drive Ford Ranger, 210 horsepower, 5 speed automatic. The cargo rating is the same as in the rear wheel drive version. WHY would you need the cargo on top of the drive wheels? I live in a snowy state (MT) and the front wheel drive does better, putting weight in the bed doesn't make the front wheels come off the ground. TG

Reply to
TG

Did you buy this vehicle in the USA? Ford has never made a front wheel drive Ranger in the US. I had an '87 BRAT which was normally front wheel drive until it was shifted into 4WD. With 1000lbs in the bed and in front wheel drive, it would do huge burnouts trying to get started on hills.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Of course it was overloaded! I still don't believe you have a front wheel drive Ranger. Why not post a picture?

Reply to
Rob Munach

Are you sure it isn't a FOUR wheel drive Ford ranger? The two wheel drive version of the Ford Ranger is REAR wheel drive. The pickup Volkswagen used to sell in the US was front wheel drive, but that's the only one I recall.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

Well I'm going to have to disagree until I see photos. I've checked every website that had a review on the 2001 Ford Ranger and not one mentions that the 2wd is front wheel drive. In fact, the ones that do say anything about the rear axle says it's got 4.10 gear ratio.

Searching newsgroups, btw 'front wheel drive truck' is a hot topic. There was a VW Rabbit truck that was front wheel drive, (it could only haul 500lbs). Dodge/Horizion had an elcamino like vehicle called the rampage that was apparently front wheel drive.

Oh and they also rate the 4.0 V6 at 207hp

front engine, rear-wheel drive

Reply to
null