A Bigger Subaru?

Sorry about that first one. Hit enter.

Does anyone know of the future plans for Subaru, specifically if they are going to increase the head-room and leg-room on the Outback or Impreza? I thought the recent body re-designs would help, but they were strictly cosmetic.

I'm not particulary big or tall (6'1, 210), but have found the Outback to be quite tight on the legs, both in total leg-room length and width, and in space under the steering wheel. I have to manuever to get in, and then it's just not enough room, and I have short legs for my height! The Impreza is easier to get into and drive, but it's still a bit short. Also, the sunroof makes the Impreza far to short. My head rubs the ceiling.

Basically, the only Sube I can buy is an Impreza without a sunroof. I'm shocked that they still build cars for the Asian body type (no offense meant). Hondas and Toyotas have lots of head- and leg-room (as do Hyundai, Suzuki and Mazda). I want/need AWD/4WD (lots of snow here), but don't want a full-size SUV, don't want an under-powered mini-SUV, won't pay for an expensive German AWD (BMW Xi, VW 4Motion, or Audi Quattro), and think most American cars are junk.

I'd love to get an H3.0 VDC Outback sedan. It's just what I want in nearly every way. Except for the fact that I couldn't drive it comfortably.

Thanks for listening :-(

Bill G '91 Maxima SE Auto

163K miles
Reply to
Bill G

I know everyone is built differently, but I'm 5'11" and I have more than = enough room in my OBW ('02). The only problem I have is that when I put = the seat all the way back where I usually like to sit, my arms are not = long enough to reach the steering wheel, which seems to smacked up = against the dashboard and doesn't extend forward enough. I have long = limbs, too, and still it seems too far away. I have lots of head room = and lots of space down by my feet though. In fact, I often extend my = left foot almost straight out while driving - there's a little spot = where I can do that on the left.

June

[...]

Diva

Reply to
H MURDOCH

Get a version with power seats. They adjust all the way down to the floor and back to where I can't reach the pedals (5'10")

[...]

Alan

The best cars I have driven as far as comfort goes are the larger cars from the Lincoln Mercury Division of Ford.

I'm 6'3" and 200lbs and I just bought an Outback. It was a mistake, but I have to live with it for 3 years. I would like to have driven it for 30 days first. It is quite uncomfortable.

I had a new Subaru Hatchback from 80 to 86 and after 50 miles of driving I was exhausted and in pain. I thought I would give them another try and found that they haven't changed much since 1980.

When I have to go further than 50 miles I'll just rent a car.

I love the Subarus, they just d>Sorry about that first one. Hit enter.

[...]

brlarue

don't want an under-powered mini-> SUV, ...

Bill,

You might like a Forester XT.

My cars are Maxima SE, and Forester XS (5-speed), which I don't find underpowered, but the turbocharged XT is of course much faster.

The Max does mid to high 14sec 1/4 miles stock, and the XT is in the high 13s, so being a Max owner I think you'd be happy too. Still the XS is fine with me. Loads of headroom, even with the gigantic moonroof. And it pulls harder than you might expect. Have you tried one? You might not find it underpowered.

Here's a nice Forester:

David

Reply to
David

going to increase the head-room and leg-room on the Outback or Impreza? I thought the recent body re-designs would help, but they were strictly cosmetic.

be quite tight on the legs, both in total leg-room length and width, and in space under the steering wheel. I have to manuever to get in, and then it's just not enough room, and I have short legs for my height!

Hey, Bill, you do not sound a lot different than I am. I'm 6'0, 220, and my legs are also short for my height. I have been told that if my legs were normal length, I'd be 6'6"... :-) Anyway, we just brought a Forester XS with the sunroof and the seating is quite comfortable for the driver! (for some reason, it is uncomfortable when I ride in the front passenger seat, but that is a peculiar back problem I have.) Wonder if you've tried the Forester?

And my short answer to your question above is that there is a new model in the works for Subaru, but I do not know how the interior dimensions might be changed. The exterior looks quite strange to me! I don't believe I'd have bought one of the new ones. The Subaru news/mag/etc. has provided photos of the new model in the mail.

Reply to
GTT

Here is my experience. I just bought my first car and I sat in many many vehicles, mainly performance "sporty" cars. All of which I had no luck fitting into. However sitting in a 2002 WRX Wagon (no sunroof offered) I had no problems with head or leg space. I'm 6'5" and 200 Lbs, with a thin build for that weight. I don't know about long or short legs, but if I had to guess, I would be on the long side. I find the driver seat has a lot of vertical adjustment, from my head on the ceiling to more than 2 inches to spare. Also I can't operate the clutch properly with the seat all the way back, which is a miracle compared to most cars. I do have to get in and out in a certain order to fold my legs under the steering wheel but it is not an uncomfortable movement. That's all I can contribute to this thread.

Ed

[...]

Edward Arata

Hmmm, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Reply to
Bill G

I think I'll check out the Forester. Seems to be a common theme in the responses.

Thanks,

Bill G

Reply to
Bill G