A Couple of Q's to do with MY01 WRX

Hi,

I have a manual MY01 WRX and it goes great but I have a couple of questions about 2 things it has recently started doing.

  1. Sometimes when I am pulling away from a standing start if I hold the clutch in a certain place I sometimes hear a whirring sound. The place I hold the clutch at to make this sound is about when the clutch place is gripping and the car is starting to move. I thought it was my clutch being worn and slipping so I took it to a Subaru dealer and one of the mechanics went for a drive with me. He pushed the car hard and after a 5 min drive said that the clutch was fine. He said that if it was slipping it would slip under boost, but it didn't. What do you guys think this is?

  1. Sometimes when I am driving and I let the car cruise (Take my foot off the gas) I get like a rattling noise in the engine bay. Anyone know what this maybe?

The car drives great and has been serviced regularly, the car has done 64,000 KM. I have a service due soon anyway but wanted some suggestions before I took it in.

Cheers.

Reply to
Sponge

about 2 things it has recently> >started doing.

clutch in a certain place I sometimes >hear a whirring sound. The place I hold the clutch at to make this sound is about when the clutch place is

worn and slipping so I took it to a >Subaru dealer and one of the mechanics went for a drive with me. He pushed the car hard and after a 5 min >drive said that the clutch was fine. He said that if it was slipping it would slip under boost, but it didn't.

Probably the hill hold. Same thing in '02 Forester XS, try letting out the clutch in neutral then putting it back down, holding the brakes just enough to hold the car, not shoving hard on the brakes when stopped. The hill hold can be adjusted, ask them to adjust it so it's lighter or disengages earlier.

As the hill hold usually doesnt disengage until the clutch is fully out, that's the whirr you're hearing.

the gas) I get like a rattling noise in >the engine bay. Anyone know what this maybe?

NFI myself.

-mark

Reply to
Mark H

For question 1 I believe it has something to do with the "hill-holder" feature. For question 2, I would look at your exhaust system heat shields. Mine rattle during a specific RPM. I had them fixed once while I was under warranty and it went away temporarily. However, they are back again and I will likely investigate and correct myself once it warms up.

-Kurt

Sp> Hi,

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

Hmmm, I am actually thinking the sound is gearbox related. When I am in a certain rev range and I take my foot of the gas and coast this is when it makes the noise. If you put the clutch in the noise stops. The car is going in for its 50,000km service in a few days, they will replace the diff and gearbox oil during this service. I got the car at

53,000km and is now at 64,000km and I don't think the previous owner did the 50,000km service.

Hopefully this will help.

Anyone have any other ideas what the noise could be?

Reply to
Sponge

What gear/RPM/speed? Mike

Reply to