A New ('blem") Radiator for $20, but...

How important is a trans oil cooler? The new radiator was such a bargain because the inlet & outlet for the trans cooler are blocked/damaged. I went to AUtoZoine and got a 5/16" brake line to bypass the cooler just so I can start the car and check the real repair, which was the gasket for the oil pump.

I also want to drain the trans by running the engine/pump and flushing the old trans fluid from the trans and refilling it with new/correct stuff. I also have a screen and a pan gasket, so it's going to get a "complete" service.

If I have to I'll get an oil cooler to replace the radiator cooler, but I only run the car in the winter and rarely in weather above 60 degrees.

Also, for those of you who remember my 'cooling problem', the radiator had Fin Rot *REALLY* bad! When I removed it big chunks of the fins fell out of it, and it was leaking from the middle (explains where the coolant was going...)

BTW, this is an '89 GL Hatch, AWD 3-speed AT.

Reply to
Hachiroku

New "add on" ATF cooler don't cost that much. Fairly easy to zip tie one in front of the radiator. Or take a walk through a wrecking yard that has European models. I recall seeing factory stand alone coolers on Volvos, Saabs and Mercedes. Some are for cooling the power steering fluid but all will work if the fittings are the same size as your lines.

Reply to
johninky

I'd say you MAY be able to get away with it. Are there tranny fluids that are extreme service/'synthetic' ? That might be one approach. Lose the cooler but get better fluid.

good luck

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I have one on an old Corolla (hachiroku) I'll get around to rebuilding one of these...er, years. I could scavenge it...

Reply to
Hachiroku

You NEED an oil cooler on an automatic. For a stand-alone cooler the small add-on units are marginal at best - go with a medium sized one and mount it on the rad

Reply to
clare