ABS Problem

1996 Impreza 2000 Turbo UK car 76000 miles.

Had it 3 days and tonight the ABS warning light came on I noticed it after I stopped whilst idling, turned the engine off and then turned the ignition on without starting, the ABS light came on then off for about 4 seconds them came on and stayed on, as I was not moving I assumed that it was not a sensor, I then notice a loud buzzing under the bonnet, open it and it was coming from a black box to the o/s of the ABS unit, gave it a tap and it stopped buzzing, turned the ignition off and on and the ABS light turned off, in the black box was a abs relay and something that looked like a relay with no markings and a resistor, my guess is that I should replace the relay, am I right or should I be looking else where, should I go to any spares shop for a relay or can someone recommend an online retailer.

Hope it is something simple or the wife will give me an ear battering, i.e I told you so, should have done up the kitchen with the money you spent on the car.

John

Reply to
John C

Robert L. Wilson

Hi, Checked brake fluid level? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Which one do I replace the one with ABS and diagram on the back, or the other with a stork/handle/cross type stick moulded on the back with no writing on it

John

Reply to
John C

I Will check fluid but surly that cannot cause a buzzing from the relay area.

John

Reply to
John C

The ABS buzzing is a known issue with (at least) the 1995 Legacy wagon. Ours did it, continued after the car was turned off and ran down the battery. According to my used car buying guide, there is a modified relay available. Oddly enough, my Subaru trained mechanic didn't seem to know about it.

Chip Gallo

Chip Gallo

Brake fluid level was fine, and as chip described the ABS relay buzzed even with the ignition off until I banged it.

John

Reply to
John C