AC compressor 90 Legacy wagon

I've just been quoted $867 to replace the compressor with a Reman unit and switch to R134 on my 90 Legacy wagon. Is that a reasonable price?

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Hmm, wrecking yard sold me a working compressor, with warranty, for $25, and I was able to have the original style of coolant put in at Jiffy Lube for about $175, including having a new V-belt installed, instead of having to change the system to the R134.

Draw your own conclusion. (-;

The work isn't difficult if you wish to do a bit yourself, and just get some shop to recycle the old refrigerant before you disconnect the original compressor, that is if there is any refrigerant left in your system at this point. Car was an EA82T equipped, '89 GL Turbo. Had a different style compressor than many 80's model Soobs so took longer for one to show up in the yard. I would think a compressor for a '90 legacy fairly easy to find.

Course, before you have all the work done, might pay to have the system checked for leaks. Be a shame to charge it, only to have it leak back out. For $867, I would hope the tests would all be included. It was included in the ~$175 by Jiffy Lube also.

No idea what new compressors list for, or what remans go for either.

~B

P.S. I don't go to Jiffy Lube for my oil changes. I only went there because I knew of one still dealing with the older style refrigerant. I don't have pressure testing equipment, or wanna try and buy enough refrigerant to completely charge a system.

In a sad kinda way I found it humorous to see five guys standing around trying to fit a V-belt. One with hands small enough, and four to watch him!

Reply to
strchild

I would not switch to R134. From what I have read online, and analyzing what is required for a sucessful conversion, cleaning the system enough to prevent cross contamination is a pain, and the system will end up not cooling the same.

You can always have an EPA licensed tech get the R12 to put in your system. I am one, and I have gotten R12 at reasonable prices on ebay.

Besides, you can always become certified taking an open book exam online, all for about $19.95. You will need the EPA 609 certification.

Good luck!

Mike C> I've just been quoted $867 to replace the compressor with a Reman unit

Reply to
AS

12 years ago, I went thru the same thing on my old Bronco II. The AC guy said that was one of the less-expensive conversions and didn't need a compressor replacement. It still cost $450 in 1997 dollars. I could have got it for $380 at another place but I would have taken a day off to get it done there.

I'd say it's within reason but I'd check around before committing to $867

Reply to
nobody >

Thanx to all who replied. $867 covers the compressor, drier and expansion valve. As for the junk yards.....I can't find one in the Raleigh area that has a Subaru. It seems to be a very time consuming process calling each one. I know R134a does not cool as well but ii is a smaller car too, with less to cool. I'll have to think on it s'more. The car was free and runs real well.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Reply to
The Other Dave