Accuracy of dash thermometer?

The dashboard thermometer on my 04 Subaru always reads 2 degrees F higher than what the radio stations are broadcasting.

Yours?

Reply to
P T

Anyone know of a way to calibrate the thermometer?

Reply to
Sniper

Most radio stations use "airport temperature" or some Thermometer at their broadcast site. Usually somewhere in a downtown urban setting. I wouldn't use radio staiton temps as something to calibrate to. Lay a red-spirit thermometer or a newer style electronic thermometer (not the Radio Shack indoor/outdoor type [also useless]). I use instrument quality thermometers, hydrometers and such for my work and I have checked the accuracy of the dashboard unit (in like conditions) and found it to be very accurate. Warmth from roadway, traffic or your own engine when idling may skew readings.

Even if it's not accurate there is nothing you can do about it. Unlike rear mirror compass it can not be calibrated. PS: Mine seems to be very accurate

Reply to
LB

Get serious. I can get 10-20 degrees difference between thermometers in front and back of house depending where sun is ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

I agree with H. I have a lab grade digital thermometer that reads in tens of a degree at home and it agrees with my Forester temp. I do find that I must drive for about 5 minutes to get the correct temp. I've also noticed that temps vary by up to 4 degrees within a 5 miles radius.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

The dashboard clock on my 04 Subaru always reads 2 minutes ahead of what the radio stations are broadcasting.

:-)

"P T" wrote

Reply to
Ian Brown

That's intolerable!

I'd immediately get to the dealer and demand they fix it, under warranty. With a loaner with a full tank of gas and an accurate thermometer while they repair your car.

KL

Reply to
K R Larkin

Radio stations usually get weather reports from official sources. In my hometown, the official weather reports are based on conditions at the airport. Its not unusual for the thermometer in your car, house, or on the bank sign to be a little off since the weather in your present location might be a little different than at the official source.

Reply to
Ragnar

:-)

Yes, but at least you can adjust the clock...

The real concern should be the miles(or km) per hour reading.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Sharpe

I regularly see 10 degree F differences between my house and my office...11 miles apart. The office is on the lake (Michigan) and the house is inland. The two are even in separate USDA garden zones.

-John O

Reply to
John O

I always set my Clocks according to the National buro of Standards. Click on your computer time in the lower left tool bar and click adjust time. Then set your watch/clocks to that time and you'l be within seconds reguardless of store signs or radio stations. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

The clock on my computer says 2:07, but it's really 2:01. What does the clock in the toolbar have to do with the National Bureau of Standards??

dukephoto

Reply to
MDCORE

reguardless

If you have XP you'll see what he means. There are three tabs when you go to "Adjust Date/Time" - Date & Time, Time Zone and the last one is Internet Time where you can "check" to Automatically synch with an Internet time server.

Reply to
S. Brooks