Accuracy of Gas Gauge.

Is your gas gauge accurate?

Here's the problem I now have with a USA 2005 Subaru Forester XT. : When traveling on a long trip, and starting with a full tank (not topped off) I will have traveled (for simplicity sake) 160 miles when the gas gauge reads 1/2. Based on that, I would expect that I can travel another 160 miles before the tank is empty.

In reality, I can only travel about 110 miles till it reads "E" It seems that the gauge drops faster after it reaches the 1/2 way mark. I was told by the dealer that it has something to do with the shape of the tank, and it is normal. This is on relatively flat roads, cruise on, over several long trips, varying roads & terrain.

Personally it drives me crazy. I think it should take the same number of miles to make the gauge go from Full to Half Full, that it will take to go from Half Full to Empty.

Reply to
QX

It isn't unusual. If you fill the tank completely and top it off, you have the tank "overfull" as there is gas in the fill pipe above the full tank mark on the scale. This extra gas gets used before the fuel gauge registers any decrease, so you seem to get more miles out of the first 1/4 tank on the scale.

Reply to
BobN

Yeah, mine does that too. I've been told the shape of the tank excuse as well, but I've looked at the tank and its square; the shape doesn't change from top to bottom. The reality is that the gauge is calibrated that way on purpose. Every car I've owned has done the same thing.

Reply to
Ragnar

Have you ever had a car that was different? If so, what was it?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I still have it, a '97 Dodge Caravan ES.

Reply to
QX

Save it, as it's a rarity.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

That's minor!!! I've got a 2005 STi, the gas guage registers 3/4 full when it's filled to overflowing and then drops like a stone. I guess the latter may have something to do with my right foot, but the inaccurate guage is ridiculous. It's a surefire item on my next dealer visit!

Philip

Reply to
Philip Procter

All cars are this way, to some extent. A gas gauge reading is not perfectly linear because the gas tank is not symetrical in shape.

Reply to
lkreh