adding keyless entry?

How hard is it to add keyless entry to either a '97 or '98 Outback if they don't come with keyless entry factory installed?

Is this something I can do myself, or something a dealer should do? If a dealer does it how much should it cost?

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry

One of the cheapest/easiest ways to do this is to simply buy an aftermarket alarm and get the keyless remote option. I think mine cost about $200 (cdn) installed. As a bonus you get an alarm - which gave me a discount on insurance.

Reply to
Cam Penner

How much do you save on insurance if you have the alram system installed? I have an 'o2 Forester with Keyless Entry but not the alarm

- but if you save enough on the insurance I would consider adding the alram part on.

Reply to
Mike

In my case, the Alarm saved me only on the theft portion....so the portion that covers theft, fire, and other collateral non moving damage is down to $20 from $80 a year. PLPD and collision were unaffected.

KD

Reply to
KDawg

Reply to
David Henderson

It wasn't so much the "siren" of the alarm that was important. It was the ignition disable that is automatically activated.

Reply to
Cam Penner

I'm sure it varies with area, but IIRC it was only about $25 a year of the theft portion of the insurance. Not really enough to pay for the alarm, but enough to help out.

The key component for an insurance discount here is the presence of an ignition disable that is automatically "turned on" when leaving the vehicle.

Reply to
Cam Penner

I did it a couple years ago on my MY97 Impreza wagon in about two hours. All the plugs are there. The hardest part for me was putting the new actuator in the door.

I found the OEM kit online for about $35 on a closeout.

Shamus

Reply to
Shamus in CO

Reply to
Mike

Most of the OEM keyless systems are stripped aftermarket alarms made to order. When I installed the OEM keyless for my MY97 Impreza Wgn, there were plugs on the box labeled siren, starter(or the like), etc.

Try a search engine on the numbers from the back of your remote. It might turn up the manufacturer, or just take a look at the box itself. The "security system upgrade" is usually little more than a siren, starter interrupt relay, and maybe an LED.

The kits sold are really easy to add, but costly due to the "plug-and-play" nature of them. You don't have to cut wires or drills holes for anything.

Shamus

Shamus in CO

Tony Hwang

Thanks for all the info...

I actually had > Hi,

Atif I. Chaudhry

I've bought keyless entry and remote start, with alarm, engine disable, and upwindows control, for $180 installed. Best left to those installers with a CD showing the wiring diagram. Pick a company that's been around and looks like it'll be there forever. Insist on a written multi-year warranty on workmanship - the hardware won't ever die.

Reply to
OORAH!!!

Was the remote start for an automatic or manual car?

I'd love remote start, but I was under the impressi> I've bought keyless entry and remote start, with

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Just out of curiosity, is there a provision to turn ignition on and wait a few seconds for the glow plugs to do their thing before engaging the starter motor?????

Reply to
null_pointer