Air Bag Diagnostics

98 Impreza Outback Sport. Air bag light came on yesterday while wife was driving it. Never been on before except at start up. When I start the car and let it sit still, the light goes off as it should and stays off. When I turn the steering wheel the light comes on. Horn still works. I have a service manual on CD and it shows a drawing of the diagnostic connectors but I can't locate them to save my life! Are they a particular color? My diagram shows them to be close to the 2 green connectors. I want to read the codes so I can pass it on to the dealer if I have to take it to them. Anyone used these connectors? If so, please give me a hand.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
GEO

There is a clock spring which is like a flat ribbon cable that connects the wheel to the steering column that carries the deploy signal and any other signals from switches on the wheel back down the column. It rotates with the wheel and after so many turns they fail from fatigue. Sorry I don't have the diagnostic information, but it is quite a common event. Usually one side cracks and later moves all the way across, so your horn will work for a while longer.

May be other cause, but this is most common.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom