Always On 12v Power (Cig Lighter) - Can/Should I hot wire it?

I have a 2003 Outback Ltd, I have a few things that I would like to have plugged into the 12v Power outlet even though the Car is off. Cell Phone while I'm eating, or Flashlight, etc..

I was going to see if there was a fuse for the 12v Power Outlets, pop the fuse and put an inline fuse from an always on 12v source.

Has anyone else done this? Should I not do this?

Any Commets suggestions welcome...

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

I would add a switch, just so you can shut it off if something unexpected happens.

-John O

Reply to
John O

Your idea will work fine as long as you use the fuse...no need for a switch either, a fuse will save the day should anything real bad happen. If you go direct to the battery I would put a fuse near the battery and another in the passenger area (both sides of the firewall). TG

Reply to
TG

Thanks for the Replies guys...

I was wondering if there was an Always on 12v that is live there at the fuse that I can tap into before the fuse its connected to then branch out to my inline fuse? I really dont like going directly to the battery..

Are the 12v Outlets already seperated out on their own fuse ore are they wired in with something else?

Thanks, Scott Your idea will work fine as long as you use the fuse...no need for a switch

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Reply to
wishiwasawd

If you have a fuse box inside the passenger compartment, get a meter and check. If you want this always-on outlet for something that's low power but might want to use an occasional high-power accessory when you're in the car, consider adding a second cigarette-type outlet that's always on and leaving the original one alone.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan