am radio noisy on new radio install

Just replaced the stereo in my car (Subaru Liberty GX 1994) with a pioneer DEH-P4650MP (mp3/wma/cd/tuner) whilst everything works fine. I find that the AM radio is very crackly and noisy when the engine is turned on. If the ignition is in the Accessories position AM radio is fine.

I've also replaced the car areal with an oem replacement.

What I need to know is how to eliminate the crackling and noise from the AM radio that appears as soon as the engine is turned on.?

p.s. never had this problem with the old deck which was an OEM clarion AM/FM/Casette unit.

Reply to
Gregory Kleverlaan

Let me know if you find a solution. Both my OEM and now my Alpine units get bad RFI from the engine, wiper motors, and fluid sprayers. Radiosmack sells an RFI filter, but that assumes the RFI comes in through the power.... LT

-----------------------------

Reply to
LT

Gregory Kleverlaan wrote & Jan 20, 2005 at

05:29 PM

Guessing you're in Oz with a Liberty. Suggest maybe some sort of suppression problem on the ignition side else the aerial could use some attention &/or tuning in. Whereabouts are you?Any decent car audio guys near you who are good with troubleshooting am? Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Are you using shielded cable from the antenna to radio? Is the shield grounded at both ends?

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Run a large bonding strap from the chassis of the receiver to the METAL firewall. Make it about 1/2 inch wide. The negitive lead from the head unit is NOT a "RF" ground. Make sure the metal under the antenna mount is clean, most important.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

I am still using the existing OEM cable running from the Antenna/motor to the radio head unit. It was just the antenna mast with wip cord that was replaced. Not the actual cable and motor which didn't need replacing.

Reply to
Gregory Kleverlaan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" Newsgroups: alt.autos.subaru,rec.audio.car Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 6:35 AM Subject: Re: am radio noisy on new radio install

Looks like I've worked out what the problem is. Just a matter of working out a solution.

Seems to be a poor connection on the connection where the areal cable that runs from the back of the Head Unit and plugs into the antenna motor unit. Although the connection is seemss solid and tight. I can jiggle the connection and hold the cable in particular position and the signal is ok. But as soon as I let the cable go the interference noise is back, Maybe the cable has iintermittent break or something at the socket end?

Reply to
Gregory Kleverlaan

the AM portion of all modern car stereos is just an after thought. They put about $1 worth of IC chip in the stereo and that is the entire AM portion of the stereo. It doesn't matter if its Kraco, Pioneer or Alpine

Reply to
I'm Right

In the interests of fairness, let me thank you for your informative and probably accurate post. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Reply to
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK