another head gasket problem on Forester

Head gasket on my '03 Forester is leaking again. Forester only has

65,000 miles on it and head gasket was repaired at 40,000 miles.

Plans are to nurse it til maybe early March 2016 and trade it in on a new Forester.

Forester has been perfect for me but I would not buy a new one if they had not changed the engine.

Wonder what serious concerns there might be on waiting a few months to trade?

There are new drops of coolant on garage floor every morning but no noticeable loss elsewhere. I keep coolant reservoir full but it has not gone down. There has been no overheating.

Wife is concerned that gasket might let go on the road and require towing. What are chances of this happening?

Reply to
Frank

Coolant on the floor means your cooling system is leaking, not the head gasket. Find out where it's dripping onto the floor and work backwards to find the leak.

Reply to
dsi1

I had looked for source without success so took it to the shop where I have service and they said pressure test showed it coming from the head gasket.

Reply to
Frank

Why didn't they just check for the source of the leak? When there's a external coolant leak, there's no need to do a pressure test. You just look for the the leak. Well, that's what I'd do anyway. Things may be different in your town.

Reply to
dsi1

My son's WRX had such a symptom lately. He thought gasket problem, when looked into it, checking exhaust gas in coolant, white smoke form tail pipe, etc. All negative. When I checked coolant system with Stant pressure tester, there was a tiny leak. The leaked coolant dried up from engine heat by the time we check for leak visually. One of the hose had pin hole which caused temp fluctuation while driving particularly when idling at stop light. Replaced hose, added coolant, burped the system. No more issues.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I assume they saw it at the gasket point when doing pressure test.

Irregardless it is leaking somewhere. Forester is 13 years old and wife has been telling me to buy a new one. Earlier in the year, I had posted that it was getting old and leaky but that was oil, apparently around filter from grit on seal.

I did stop at the dealers yesterday to look at the new Forester and was impressed with what I saw. Told saleswoman that I would probably buy a new one at the end of winter from them via the family and friends deal.

My philosophy has been to trade the car in when cost of repairs start to approach book value. Had it happen to a friend this year who had spent $6,000 to repair his old Chevy Blazer to have it go out of commission again and only get $500 on trade in.

Reply to
Frank