Another "Mouse Milk" story that seems to have worked.

After reading some previous threads about coolant system additives as "fixes" for the infamous blown head gasket problem, I thought I'd share a different story.

"Mouse Milk" is a term used for any "mechanic in a can" item.

My 2000 OBW had a slight case of hesitation when first put into any forward gear (auto, 4EAT) when I bought it. It wasn't much, maybe 5 seconds or so, and only after sitting for at least a couple of hours. That was when I bought it 3 years ago. I had a transmission flush done on it, then it went to 10-20 seconds after that. It wasn't a showstopper, so I've lived with it for a couple of years now, planning on having the transmission dropped and looked at when I got my tax refund. That never happened as there was always something more immediate that ate the money.

I put a $10 can of Sea Foam transmission additive in it a week ago, and the problem stopped! I followed the can's instructions plus what the partscounter guy said as well. I ran it thru every gear for at least 5 minutes... including reverse. I probably got some funny looks as I was making full-lock circles in reverse for 5 minutes in the school district's parking lot.....

I'm happy! I wish I'd done this 3 years ago. I suspect that the problem was just a sticky valve in the valve body all along, and a thin solvent-type additive was what was needed to break it loose.

The Sea Foam brand of additives isn't usually found in your usual Shucks/Autozone/etc store, it's more likely found in more "shop oriented" parts stores like NAPA.

As with other cheap fixes, Your Mileage May Vary. (YMMV)

Reply to
nobody >

thanx for posting. My wife's 03 OBW has a hard downshift at highway speeds above 70-75. had it since new. I might try this stuff.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Actually not. There is a product called "Mouse Milk". Sold by Aircraft Spruce, and likely others. It is an EXCELENT penetrant and lubricant - high creep factor. see:

As a LONG TIME mechanic, I have found there are many very legitimate "chemical fixes" available that do the job every bit as well as a teardown for a small fraction of the cost. Often you tear something down looking for the cause of a problem like that and you never find it. Sometimes you get lucky and you fixed it just by taking it apart and cleaning it, and other times you waste all the time and customer's money because the problem is still there when you are done (you missed SOMETHING, but you have no idea what). I will generally try a chemical fix FIRST if I suspect a stiction or lubrication problem, and sometimes for minor leakage problems - depending what/where/ and how bad, and the age/condition of the vehicle.

That said, there is no universal magic bullet. Nothing will repair a worn out or broken engine or tansmission. And it's "different horses for different courses" - some products work on one engine and not another, or one tranny and not another ---.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

I'll bet that the "mechanic in a can" use predates the introduction of that product. But, it's a good use of something previously heard for product recognition. My father used the term and he picked it up in the Navy in WWII.

There's a good probability that using this Mouse Milk might have worked as well. I've known a few cheap auto sales lots that dump WD40 into ailing automatic transmissions and it works long enough to get the car off the lot and a few miles further.

Reply to
nobody >

The delayed-engagement is from an o-ring/seal in the trans somewhere that hardens up a bit.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Mine does this too! I accidently drained the battery, and it went away for awhile. Damn TCU learns your habits, then gets a screw loose after awhile.

I just had a trans flush, that seemed to help a little.

I'm not going to try a magic cocktail until I have to battle the delayed-engagement problem, which at this time is not worse than 1-2 seconds.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Up here the expression for the "mechanic in a can" was "hunny" or "Honey". I wonder if it had anything to do with what you find in a "honey wagon". Shaler (Rislone), Casite(3c),BG (44K and Supercharge), Bardahl,and Marvel(MMO) were among the products with a pretty strong professional recognition in these parts. Wynns, STP,Tuff-Oil, and many others had little respect - mostly marketing hype.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

In which case new fluid and fluid conditioner like BG ATC Plus would likely make a huge difference.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Aften it pays to "nip it in the bud" as letting a problem get worse sometimes causes more damage. Try BG ATC Plus. A lot of tranny shops around here use it with very good results.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Hi,

Add K-W Trans-X in my neighborhood. It's been around forever and I've heard mostly good stories about it, especially when used in automatic transmissions that haven't been particularly well cared for in the fluid maintenance dept.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright