anti lock brakes

I was driving my son's 95 Legacy wagon today and the ABS light went on. The weather was snowing so I pulled into a rest area and tried the brakes. No ABS.

We noticed after I turned the car off that there was a noise in the front right under the hood. Not being a mechanic I felt it was the ABS since the light had gone on and this was a new occurance.

Several hours later the battery was dead since this (ABS) continued to run.

I would appreciate info on what has happened and what the fix is.

Thanks

Reply to
Bruce

Quick -n- dirty solution

Identify exactly where the noise is coming from and give it a light tap with a small knockometer.

Alternatively pull the part and clean the contacts.

Reply to
Bugalugs

Sounds like the ABS pump was stuck on due to a problem with a relay or the control unit. Best to have a shop look at this, probably not something you can easily diagnose and repair on your own.

Reply to
mulder

I know this problem from my old legacy, its the ABS pump coming from the right (passenger) side at the very front of your car.

- To prevent the battery from running dead while the problem is not fixed: Simply remove the ABS contact plug so that it's not connected and won't use the energy from your battery.

- I was able to fix it by slightly knocking with a metal stick (screwdriver) or something similar.

Hope that helps

regards, Michael

Reply to
Michael Szoenyi

I had it once on my '91 Legacy turbo due to "playing"in the snow. It seems that the ABS systeem can't cope withe all 4wheels spinning for any period. The ABS pump continued to run so i took the main fuse from the fusebox wich is located front left(from driverseat view) and put it back after one minute. No probs ever since. Except for the "normal" malfunction whilst "playing"in the snow.

Greets from Heerlen, the Netherlands

Marc "Michael Szoenyi" schreef in bericht news:43cbde7a$0$1161$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunrise.ch...

(screwdriver)

Reply to
marc

Absolutely true, but when I'm playing in the snow the ABS simply switches off (i.e. the light goes on and the sensors don't work any more) but the pump is working just fine.

Hardest for the ABS is doing 180° and 360°. Spinning wheels on a sideways motion of the car confuses the computer, it seems ;-)

I experienced both probs, though. The running pump with my old ('92) Legacy turbo independent of driving conditions, rather dependent on weather conditions; the ABS switching off after playing with my "new" Legacy ('94).

Reply to
Michael Szoenyi

Reply to
Robert L. Wilson

Hopefully the replacement meets the current carrying and switching capacity of the original. As well as any reverse battery protection that may be built in.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Here is what I posted two years ago. In response to one post, I wouldn't call it a replacement if it did not have at least as good specs. There is no "reverse current" issue involved. I got the replacement relay, tried it to make sure it worked, but put back the original out of curiosity. It continued to work for another 20K miles after being banged on. I note that Mouser now carries the same relay also, any electronics supply place can probably get it. RLW From time to time I have seen postings here about the ABS light coming on and also an additional symptom, noise from right front corner of car after you turn it off. If you have not seen it, there is a bulletin from June,

1996, about a replacement relay for at least the years 1991-1996 and models including at least SVX and Legacy, I am not sure what else. But if you take the problem to a dealer I hear you get charged an enormous amout if they recognize the relay problem and maybe they even replace the whole ABS control unit for $1000 or so if they don't catch it! The ABS light came on in my 95 Legacy Outback the other day, and there was the noise from the right front corner. I had not paid attention in the past and did not know about the sticking relay issue. I unplugged the power connector from the front of the control box so that at least it would not be tearing itself apart, so I could have time to look into it, and I found out about the relay problem. Some had mentioned that hitting the side of the control unit might fix it at least temporarily. It now becomes clear why. On the top, front, of the control unit there is a black plastic lid you can easily remove, except that in my car at least you have to get the air intake pipe out of the way first. Under the lid are two black plastic relays. In my unit the one nearer the front of the car, lots of writing on top of it, is the one that controls the motor. It can be unplugged with a little wiggling and tugging. I looked up data on the relay. It is very conservatively rated, no problem there, but I guess it has a design flaw that lets the armature get stuck in one position: It is not welding the contacts together as an underrated relay might. But just unplugging it and plugging it back in shook it around enough to make it work perfectly in my case. So here is my plan: This car has 108K miles. If the relay goes another 108K before I have to shake it again, no complaints! If it does stick again and does not want to unstick so easily, I could drill a small hole in its plastic case (careful of depth, going more than a sixteenth of an inch with a drill bit would probably ruin the relay...) and spray in some contact cleaner/lubricant, then seal the hole with tape or glue. That might fix it, nothing lost if it does not. My dealer wants $96.50 for a new relay. But DigiKey and Newark show an Omron relay, model G8JN-1C7T-DC12, that ought to plug right in: I think DigiKey wants $5.60 for it. (Same number with 6 unstead of 7 should also work.) It is slightly larger in one direction than the original but there is room in the compartment. The next time I order from one of those places I will get a relay to keep in the car, but since it is working for now there is no need to make a special order. I hope someone finds this helpful. Note that it does not pretend to fix all ABS problems, there are lots of things that can turn on the ABS light, but it does sort of resolve the sticking relay issue. Bob Wilson
Reply to
Robert L Wilson

Bob:

Thank you for all of the great information. I will certainly pass this on to my teenager who is the driver and mechanic.

Regards,

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Thanks you to all for your helpful insight and experiences.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

"Reverse battery" protection, not reverse current. Its for when some bozo connects the battery in reverse. Some relays refuse to engage this way. Older protection was to include a diode. However, the newest involves protection on the module that pulls in the relay itself. Thats why I say the replacement needs to have the same feature as the original in this respect. or just dont plug the battery in backwards :P

Also, underhood relays are rated for much higher temperature than cabin relays. Omron is an automotive relay supplier though.

Either way you cut it, the price is going to be near what you paid, so its just a matter of matching. Im not trying to justify that rediculous dealership price.

The footprint is pretty common so you want to match the contact load, switching Load, reverse battery protection if any, and operating temperature. If you did that, all is well.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert