Antifreeze below the engine

I thought it was the upper radiator hose, but there are no leaks from there. When the car sits for several hours I find antifreeze/coolant on the ground, below the engine towards the pax side. Water pump? Can I still drive it to a mechanic? How far? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Reply to
rajp53

BTW, it's a 96 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon w/178k miles.

Reply to
rajp53

Hi,

Could be water pump, could be head gasket, but I'd look for a little bypass hose at the top of the water pump first. If your model has it, that's a weak point, especially if it's the original or hasn't been replaced in the last coupla years of so.

As for driving--how much coolant are you losing in how much time? If it's just a small dribble, I'd think you should be able to make sure the system's full and make it to your mechanic if he's not too far away, you don't drive too fast, and you watch the temp gauge.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

waterpump have overflow protection and will leak when dying , Any goodmechanic will diagnose quickly

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Patrick