Any problem skipping gears on downshift?

Do you see the problem with the folowing downshift procedure

  1. I'm in 5th
  2. While braking keep the gas pressed and disengage the clutch
  3. As the revs go up shift into the 3rd
  4. engage the clutch ?

I think I saw an advisory against skipping gears on downshifts somewhere. Not sure how credible the source was.

Reply to
isquat

Just be careful when releasing the clutch.

You should not have any problems > Do you see the problem with the folowing downshift procedure

Reply to
AS

Reply to
bgd

Put the lever in 4th briefly without letting up the clutch if you're worried about the synchronizers.

Reply to
David

Shouldn't matter on the syncros . Dropping into 4th on the way down to

3rd is just wasted time if you need/want to get the engine connected back to the wheels.

Skipping a gear(s) on downshifting is sorta like walking around on a sprained ankle.

If 'it' looks like it it's going to hurt, don't do 'it'. If 'it' hurts, quit 'it'.

Rephrase as

If the shifter doesn't want to go into that gear, don't force it. If it sounds bad, quit it.

Disclaimer: I don't own a manual transmission Subaru and have only driven one once, for a 10 mile test drive. No fancy shifting tricks done then. I did own a Toyota pickup with a manual transmission for 10+ years that could usually be shifted (except for first) up or down 3 gears if conditions warranted. If it didn't want to shift , I didn't do it.

Reply to
nobody >

Nothing wrong with it, as long as you're matching the revs. OTOH, don't do that just to slwo down. Brakes are cheaper than a transmission!

Dan D '99 Subaru Legacy 30th (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Nothing wrong with it, as long as you're matching the revs. OTOH, don't do that just to slow down. Brakes are cheaper than a transmission!

Dan D '99 Subaru Legacy 30th (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Asked a reliable mechanic about this once. He said go ahead and don't use the clutch, I've got a nice rebuilt tranny in the back all ready to go :)

Reply to
Ed

I first heard about this practice of not using the clutch a long time ago, when cars had 1st gears without synchs, and when the synchs for other gears went bad.

When you do it correctly you are matching the speeds of both gears to the point that you will not even use the synchs. When you downshift normally, the synchs are working their tail off, trying to make the input shaft speed the right one for the gear you are shifting into.

Reply to
AS

Oh I understand double clutching, as I have had to relearn this skill with my '03 WRX in the sub-zero F weather we had a few weeks ago. Even with syncros I match engine speed when down shifting. I just don't do clutchless shifting anymore. I just don't want to foot the bill because I ground off a few teeth...

Reply to
Ed

Not to mention that it seems you're putting all that load on the engine for no particular reason.

Reply to
David Buchner

I'm downshifting as I'm breaking from 65 to 30. The load seem constant. Is your suggestion for me to break while the engine is in neutral or I should I be in 4th for a second or so? I thought the whole point in having a stick so that you are in proper gear at all times.

Reply to
isquat

You must become one with the driveshaft.

Reply to
David

I don't know, and I'm no expert, but when I was a teenager I downshift-braked like mad. It was quite a while before somebody pointed out that that was putting unnecessary extra wear on the clutch and engine. The clutch is a lot harder to get at than the brake pads...

So what *I* do nowadays, is just use the brake and slow down in whatever gear I'm in, and then shift it into whatever gear is appropriate for the speed, when I need to put on power again. Like going 55 in 5th, coming into a town, I coast and brake down to 30, then shift into 3rd to cruise. Or going into a corner, on a dirt road, brake down to 20, switch to 2nd and accelerate through.

Am I wrong? Anybody?

I thought it was because it was more fun. :-)

Reply to
David Buchner