Any way to get aux-in on 95-99 Legacy stock headunit?

If I owned a Honda, I'd be able to buy a cable that simply plugs into the CD-changer port, which then gives the stock head unit an auxiliary-input jack/capability.

Is there any way to do the same thing with the head unit that comes stock in Subaru 95-99 Legacy L? Thanks.

Reply to
PCB

Unless you had a honda with a CD-changer installed. Then you'd be scewed (as I am).

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Wasn't there a separate DIN CD player available as an option? If so, it would likely plug in to the head unit. I suggest pulling it out and taking a look. DS

Reply to
DS

Yes, the Subaru head unit certainly is designed to work with a seperate DIN CD player. The jack on the back of the stock head unit is circular (I've already seen it).

What would be nice, is a product which can be plugged into that jack, which gives an aux-in jack, similar to the product that's designed for Honda head units.

If anyone knows of a product or way to get an aux-in with the Subaru head unit, please share the info. Thanks.

Reply to
PCB

My subie is older. It's a '92. The CD player is a separate unit that plugs into a backside connector on the radio. If I wanted to go the route of bringing out the connector to a box where I'd add accessible connections, I'm not sure where to get a cable with that connector on it. Well, I could find an old CD unit and snip off the cable

but they want $70 for an old CD player that doesn't support all the latest formats. Hell, I can get the entire radio for $25. I toyed around with the idea of getting a flat 90-degree pre-made DIN cable (so the cable comes out from the side instead of straight back since I don't how much room there is behind the radio) that I could then bring out to a plastic box in which I add whatever connector needed to plug in other external equipment. Decided against it because it would be too much work. I prefer finding simpler solutions, like a CD changer with FM transmitter so all you have to do is tune your radio to a preset channel to hear the CD music.

If you still want to go the route of bring out the backside DIN connection from the radio, the pinout that I have for my '92 radio is:

Pin 1: NC Pin 2: Line-In Right Pin 3: NC Pin 4: Line-In Left Pin 5: Signal Gnd Pin 6: CD Play (or Remote Amp In; send 12V to this to active amp for remote device) Pin 7: NC Pin 8: Mute (input) Pin 9: Acc Out (filtered power) Pin 10: Batt Out (filtered power) Pin 11: CD Stop (input) Pin 12: NC Pin 13: Gnd

I the article with this pinout by Googling on the part number on the sticker on the back of the radio. I'd bet that

would have the part (i.e., cable with integral DIN connector) but it can be tough finding it on their site unless you know specifically what you are looking for.

Reply to
Vanguard

I have a 1998 Legacy. I use a Sony car adapter (made for a Sony CD discman). One end is a cassette-type unit which goes into the Subaru tape player. The other end normally plugs into the Discman but can also be plugged into other things that have a line-out jack. I'm not sure this is what you're looking for but seems like it should allow connection of other sources into the Subaru.

Reply to
Erasmus

Thanks, but no, what you have is a cassette tape adapter. I'm looking for a solution that utilizes the CD port on the back of the head unit. It would be a much cleaner, better-sounding solution than anything else.

Reply to
PCB

I'd be able to buy a cable that simply plugs into

Hi Jon,

I think that your best option would be to ditch the entire head unit in favor of an after market set up. At least you've got a couple of options this way. For ~$100-150 you could get a head unit with a built in aux-in, probably right on the face. For a little more, you could go with a head unit and an ipod controller.

I used to have a 97 wagon, and installed a head unit myself in about

30 minutes. Otherwise, go to a big box retailer, and they'll probably do it for free, with purchase.

Honestly, I think the expense of retrofitting something into your stock system, not to mention your time, is going to wind up costing a lot more than simply dumping in a new unit. You are lucky, in that the newest version doesn't offer the option of being able to add an after market system. Of course, the 07 - on has an aux-in anyhow, and I'm just starting to ramble.

That's just my .02.

Best of luck.

Jason