"at oil temp" (sometimes) flashes 16 times on startup

I have a '97 Subaru outback with ~70,000 miles on it, automatic transmission.

A couple of months back I had serious oil leak problems which seem mainly resolved after the crankshaft seal was replaced. (I also had the crank pulley replaced and the timing belt was changed)

Now I find that sometimes (but not always) when I start the car the "AT OIL TEMP" light flashes exactly 16 times and then goes out.

I've not noticed any obvious problems while driving the car.

I suppose I need to take the car to the dealer, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone out there has any insight into what is causing this apprarently intermittent problem. In particular, how urgently do I need to get this looked at, and could it be related to my previous problems and the fixes done?

Thanks in advance,

Henry

Reply to
smcx1

null

Just having my 2001 serviced for the same but my AT HOT light stays blinking for the entire drive. 50K and this solinoid is under powertrain warranty.

Reply to
Mike B.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I believe the 16 flashes at start up is a "generic" warning rather than the specific error code for a particular problem. I tried the magic sequence posted once before to this group that is supposed to make the light flash the problem code but it didn't work.

Time to make that appointment with a mechanic...

Henry

Reply to
smcx1

I took my car into the shop. They said the error message is coming from "duty solenoid C". Since it would cost about $450 to replace this, if it's the solenoid itself that's bad, I was wondering if this is really necessary?

Right now the only sign of a problem is the flashing light which I can easily live with! Will driving with a malfunctioning "duty solenoid C" cause any real problems?

Henry

Reply to
smcx1

If I'm not mistaken, duty solenoid C is the solenoid that controls the front/back torque split. If this goes, I'm pretty sure that your AT will just lock in a 50/50 front/rear split. The two problems I would see is that sometimes your transmission will start to bind if you are going around a tight corner (most older AWD vehicles do this anyways), and I think it increases the wear on the transmission.

Reply to
Richard Kaszeta

Turns out that replacement duty solenoids are "on back order nationally" according to the shop. So, they're going to stick in the fuse that makes it run as front wheel drive only until the part arrives!

Reply to
smcx1

Picked up the car with the fuse in the "FWD" socket. Drove it to work, halfway there the "FWD" light on the dash goes out! Checked that the fuse is still firmly in place. Looks like it hasn't blown (if I'm checking it correctly).

I don't understand this! Or could this also be connected to the solenoid failure? Another solenoid failure?

Henry

Reply to
smcx1

You have a 5yr/60K powertrain... if you are withing that. If not I would go with the $450. Not bad, you get a trans fluid change. I would drive the car and see if it goes into overdrive. After 3rd gear you will see a 250rpm drop as it goes into trans lock. Mine died (just flashed the AT hot light constantly) after 48K - fixed under warranty. My son's GMC had a stupid motor that shifts from 2wd-4wd-FT4WS for $925 with tax. $525 for this stupid part with 49K on it.

Reply to
Mike B.