ATF and fuel filter change 15,000 miles?

Dealer's literature recommends this but manual says 30,000 miles for both. Wife taking her '08 to dealer for 15,000 mile service. Should he get these done?

Reply to
Frank

Actually dealer's note says he recommends 30 month service, which is same as 30,000 miles. I have my wife prepared to tell the dealer what to do, which for me and what I did on my '03 Forester (her's is '08) is to base service on miles in Subaru manual. Am I wrong to do so? Us retired folks only drive half the average 1,000 miles a month.

Reply to
Frank

If this is for a fuel filter and ATF filter change, I would do it. Neither cost that much and just cheap insurance IMO.

Reply to
johninky

Sorry, I meant to say brake fluid, not ATF. Schedule at 30 mo/30,000 miles just says inspect ATF. Dealer charges about $30 each for brake fluid and fuel filter but does not include labor. If we did everything called for at 30 months, it costs nearly $500. This includes a $100 engine flush which I know is superfluous.

Reply to
Frank

Sometimes dealer s DO try to 'accelerate' the maintenace schedule. Probably a ripoff unless the vehicle sees 'extreme duty'. HOWEVER, short trips/low mileage IS considered extreme. Primarily because systems don't get hot enough to chase out moisture. That is why there is a time component as an alternate to mileage. A few of the items listed could probably slide a little on time(like acessory belts and maybe radiator coolant). But fresh/clean fluids are the key to auto longevity. As for brake fluid, it is hygroscopic and it's boiling point decreases over time. often overlooked, probably should change it on schedule (manufacturer's time or mileage schedule)

my opinion, YMMV

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

only do what is needed by the manual and driving habits- this will maintain the warranty. We only do brake fluid at the majors, and most are not bad looking as compared with other brands of cars.

Reply to
StephenH