Audible tyre (UK) wear warning!

I posted here a couple of years ago re: dreadful howling noise from the rear of the WRX under really heavy braking. Lots of theories but the cause was identified as uneven wear on the rears as they were close to replacement but still legal. They wear out of round and develop flat spots which makes the noise. New tyres cured the problem. The tyre tech told me that several vehicles wear tyres this way... all of them 4WD and including Landrover...something to do with the suspension set-up. It's just happened again...I thought a wheel bearing had gone or the rear diff had a problem as the whine from the back gradually increased over the last couple of weeks. Then I remembered...got the tyres checked which were 1mm this side of legal but put new ones on....noise gone. I had the tracking checked and it was spot on. Has any one else experienced this phenomenon?

Reply to
Clive - Selectron

And which tire would that be? A black one or the one with the white sidewall?

Distribution.www.skullstrings.comwww.espguitars.co.ukwww.emgpickups.co.ukwww.tube-shop.comwww.coreoneproduct.comwww.whirlwindusa.comwww.espshop.co.uk

Reply to
isquat

If you have something worthwhile to contribute please do so. If not kindly piss off.

-C-

Reply to
Clive

If you were to provide useful information (such as the tire model) we won't have this problem, would we?

Reply to
isquat

The car is stated. The size is a given. The make of tyre (UK sp) is irrelevant. I am asking about rear suspension setup causing uneven wear and thus noise. If as common as I'm told other WRX/STi drivers will have experienced it. To avoid more snidey remarks.... OEM Bridgestones, Michelin Pilot Sport, Michelin Primacy...not the tyres, it's the car. Read the post.

-C-

Reply to
Clive

The make might be but the model ain't.

Could be. Did you take the rear wheel off to see if any bits are loose? There are no adjustible suspension parts in the back, but, obviously, some nuts could have come undone. Some loctiting or safety wiring goes a long way to prevent that. While at it you can ditch the 17mm sway bar and the wussy springs. 20mm sti takeoff is cheap but I advise you to get a 22 or 24mm one. And it's so much better with the black us oem sti springs. Pink jdm springs are stiffer yet. Takes vomit inducing body roll out of driving the car if you know what I mean. Prodrive must have a ton of suspension bits for you also.

Reply to
isquat